I need a new mainboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new mainboard.

Howdy all. I need to pick up a new mainboard, but it's been a long time since I kept up with the market. I am looking for something with ATA-100 support(raid would be nice), Slot 1 support, 4 DIMM slots, and able to be set to a high FSB(166+). What would everyone suggest? Oh, one more thing, NOTHING on-board. Thanks all.

socket A'wise only epox 8kta3's have 4 dimm slots. and can do at least 150mhz,(probably more, mine does 150 and then the ram craps out)
    Abit kt7A's and Iwill's KT133A boards are said to be good for 166' or so, but only have 3 dimm slots.

fcpga'wise...I don't know or care 8-)

Comment

fcpga 2, is just about released, those mobo's should be good for at least 166 and support the "nu imporved" p3's

Comment

did you not see the "slot 1" moniker, oh well.

normally I'd recommend a supermicro board, but your requirement for the high FSB is a sticking point there, I'm not sure if abit or asus are still making slot1 boards, but if you hunt around you should be able to find one, look out for the bh6 etc.

Colin
        You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

yes I do wear glasses, and no I did not see the slot 1 bit.

but I think abit have new slot 1 board, if you can find it, the SH6 . It is very hard to find,defintely not available in Australia.

It is 815E slot 1 board.

[This message has been edited by Marshmallowman (edited 26 April 2001).]

Comment

There is also the Asus P3V4X. Its got 4 DIMM slots, and ATA66, and its Slot1. It officially supports 133Mhz, but I dont know how much higher than that it would go. I have 2 of those at work, and they are OK. Quite stable(no O'Clocking of course), but the WOL connections on them are shit (only work with Asus NICs).

Then there is the Abit SH6. Thats what I wanted, but couldnt get them here.

Ali

Comment

The closest I could find was
              http://www.abit.com.tw/english/produ...s/be6r2-20.htm
              Edit: Why do you need 4 DIMM slots? Do you use applications that need 1GB of RAM?

[This message has been edited by Tempest (edited 30 April 2001).]

Comment

I strongly recomand you to keep of Intel prosessors, but if you have to use an FCPGA MB, I would recomand: AOpen AX34 Pro II, It has 4DIMMs, Dr. Voice, Optional Dr. Led, and DieHard BIOS, even ATA100 suport! A good MB!

If you want a good Athlon MB, I recomand: ASUS A7V133, a good solution with onboard RAID, go for the A7V133-C, if youy dont want onboard RAID. A good thing with MB's from ASUS is that it isnt a soundcard (Audio Codec) onboard on the regular models!

------------------
                - [GDI]Raptor

Comment

About Asus A7V:
                  I read over @ Anandtech that if you need to blow away the CMOS you have to touch the two solder joints with a screwdriver because there's no "Clear CMOS" jumper. So, be careful when if you overclock!
                  ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

That's true, 2Whyzzi. The location for the jumper is there- right next to the battery, but there's no pins, just the soldered in holes.

The A7M266 is the same way. I had to do this to reset my bios when I discovered the issues my case switch has with the intrusion sensor on my motherboard (basically, couldn't clear message, and couldn't go any further til I'd reset the cmos- my case's switch sends is closed when the motherboard expects it to be open and vice-versa).

If you have to short those out, make sure to disconnect the system from the power cable first, as there've been stories of systems attempting to power up when the connections were made, and frying stuff. If there's no power to the system, everything should be okay.

------------------
                    System specs:
                    AMD T-Bird 1.33 (o.c. to 1.5Ghz)
                    Asys A7M266
                    256MB Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM
                    Promise Fastrak 100 EIDE Raid controller running
                    2x IBM DTLA 60GB 7200 RPM UDMA 100 hdd, RAID 0 array
                    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                    Gainward Ti4600
                    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment