Sygate Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sygate Problem

I have been succesfully using Sygate internet connection sharing for a couple of years now

My problem is, a machine on my home network which I previously used as the server, I now wish to use as a client. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Sygate but I think that the machine still thinks it is a server, having still got the License information in it somewhere. It passes the diagnostics and I can ping the new server but the Sygate manager will not browse the Sygate Network Neighbourhood and I cannot initiate a dial or hangup, and the Internet cannot be accesed on the client. I have checked and recheked IP addresses and removed all old Modem and DUN software.

Other clients on the network are fine. I have even tried an old hard disk in my ex server and installed sygate as a client and that works fine so the hardware is OK.

So, how can I remove all traces of Sygate from my hard disk including the software License? Where is the License info hidden?? Is it encrypted in the registry somewhere. Does other software behave this craftily?

Vic

As far as I used Sygate, and tried to change the server to another PC, the thing to do was uninstall Sygate, delete the whole Sygate directory in Program Files and all other Sygate folders on the drive, then reboot the machine.

Running a registry cleaner isn't such a bad idea after the reboot. Or delete any Sygate entries in the registry on that machine.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I've tried all of those things Jorden but to no avail.

I, after deleting reg keys, directories and rebooted, tried to install Sygate 4.0 out of curiosity and THAT found the License for the old version!!

Where is the *+£$&% thing hidden?? I've been at this for four days now but I still don't want to reformat the drive.

Vic

Comment

Sorry if you were trying to answer while I deleted my post

I remembered something. You first install Sygate on the server, then you install it on the client, but from the server you have to acknowledge the client (right?). It also remembers the Mac address of the server and of all the cards in the network, and their designation.

It might be that you have to delete the network from the last pc installed on the network, all the way back to the server, delete Sygate on all of them, then start reinstalling from the new server.

Although my way around would be to uninstall the NIC from the old server, install it in the new server and set it up as the old one was. Then install the network card from the new server in the old, and reinstall there.

An IP address might change, a MAC address never !!

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 02 May 2001).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
        X