Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this work ?

Hello,

Just like most Matrox-enthousiasts in here, I am (was ?) waiting for some new card to be announced (I intend to buy a new system somewhere around july-august, I have already postponed this date because I didn't know which videocard to buy ).

It ought to be possible to use both a G450 PCI, and some other AGP-card (for arguments sake, let's say GeForce) in one machine. Is it possible to have the GF do the rendering of the game you are playing, but have the data displayed on one of the G450 displays ? (so basically, use the primary card for rendering, and the secondary for displaying; a bit like ye'old 3D-expansion boards )

I believe every card has a VESA feature connector ("The VAFC connector, defined in the VESA VAFC version 1.0 Hardware Specification, allows for high
    bandwidth point-to-point connections between the video and graphics subsystems."), see http://www.vesa.org/dload/summary/sumvafc_sw.htm .
    Would use of this connector make it possible ?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Why? It's the internal rendering of the Matrox cards that we like! (well, partly that) So, using a GF series card wouldn't offer us what we want

At a push, we could try and use it's T&L engine

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">high
      bandwidth point-to-point connections between the video and graphics subsystems</font>
      The VESA connector has been on graphics cards since like over 10 years ago - maybe it was 'high bandwidth' then, but now, I'm not too sure.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Pace: Why ? Game performance (let's be honest, 3D performance is not the best, I am not argueing the render quality !), while still having superb 2D.

SteveC: Yes, but the vesa-connector has been renewed (from vesa feature connector to vesa advanced feature connector), but you're probabely right...

Apparently, their is a similar thread in Matrox Gaming http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum4/HTML/004929.html

I guess that answers my question.
        Thanks anyway,

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X