Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which 40-60Gb ATA100 hdd,recommend,avoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which 40-60Gb ATA100 hdd,recommend,avoid?

I need to buy a new hard drive.
    (I will get another one next year, and stripe them on 8kta3+ HP370 raid controller)

2 top candidates so far

IBM 40 or 60 60GXP ATA100
    or a 60GB Quantum AS 7200 2MB

what would you recommend?
    what should I avoid

IBM.

Rags

Comment

I love my IBM. I've been looking at getting another. If you're looking for performance (since you're raiding), I think the 75GXP's might be better performers than their younger brothers (the 60GXP's are touted as low-power low-noise). I've been looking at getting a 60 or 75 GB 75GXP. The 75GB is 25% more in price and size, so same price/MB.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have heard in some reviews that some 75gxp's (especially the larger sizes) are having reliablility problems.

The 60GXP is has sustained data rate of 40MB/s and access time of 8,5.

whereas the 75gxp's have a sustained rate of 37MB/s and access time 8.7ms.

cooler is quite impotant to , I plan to fill up my computer with HDD's eventually.
        (already have, just changing over from 4 UW scsis to to 2 scsi and a IDE)

also the 60GXPs have tagged command queueing which should improve perfomance if the drive is sharing the channel with a slave,maybe?

[This message has been edited by Marshmallowman (edited 27 April 2001).]

Comment

I have 4 of the IBM 46GB 75gxp's in a RAID 0+1 array on a Promise controller.
          Excellent performance.
          I'm yet to see this 'reliability' issue with any IBM drive.
          I've got 4 at home working without a glitch and every single PC I've bought in from work (apart from the servers) over the past six months have also had IBM units in - yet to see a single failure.
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Buy:

IBM or Western Digital

Avoid at all costs:

Maxtor

That is all.

- Gurm

P.S. I've seen no reliability issues with the 75GXP's. However, the 60GXP's sure do sound tasty. Might be time for me to upgrade...

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

if i were to buy one now, i would get the western digital 600ab, from what i heard its th best compromise between speed and silence

Comment

IBM 60 GB 60GXP or 75GXP. I have one (don't know which GXP) and it is fast, fast, fast.

Jammrock

------------------
                Athlon 650
                256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Maxtor for me too!

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I've always used Quantum's and will still buty them while I can but as has been mentioned they have merged with Maxtor so it's uncertain what affect this will have on their product range.
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

It's not quite as uncertain, Maxtor's website has already been updated some time ago with the current situation.

They keep carrying the Fireball Plus AS (a prefectly fine HD in my opinion) and the Fireball lct20, the rest of Quantum's line is gone, except of course for the always excellent Atlas SCSI series.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fds:
                        They keep carrying the Fireball Plus AS (a prefectly fine HD in my opinion) and the Fireball lct20, the rest of Quantum's line is gone, except of course for the always excellent Atlas SCSI series.

</font>
                        Er, that is the Quantum product range, which models are they dropping?
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Why avoid Maxtor? I've had several Maxtor drives for at least 5 years and they have performed fine. I have two Maxtor ATA 100 45gb Drives in a RAID 0 striped array right now and they are working great.

Comment

Same here!! I've got a ton of Maxtors and they work fine.

That said the IBM 75GXP is the fastest ATA100 drive on the market.

Avoid Quantum. Their HD business is going bye-bye so their drives will be orphans. Maxtor bought the business, but will just convert it to make more of their own product.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The only hard drives that I have ever seen actually physically fail have been made by Quantum and Western Digital(Caviar) I have had good luck with IBM, Maxtor, and more recently Fujitsu. Fast,(not as fast as some of the real speed demons out there)quiet, and reasonably priced.
                              Best of luck in your search.
                              AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X