Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can monitor be used to view progressive-scan DVDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can monitor be used to view progressive-scan DVDs?

Can I connect a progressive scan DVD player to my Sony 200PS 17" monitor via the 5 BNC inputs in order to watch a DVD at 480p? The DVD players output only has a RGB component output (3 cables) but the monitor also has a Horizontal and Vertical BNC input for a total of five inputs.

In other words, it seems a progressive scan DVD player hooked to a regular TV is a waste so I want to see if I can get more milage out of my computer monitor to double as a mini "High def" monitor.

DVDs use the maximum resolution that a TV is capable of.. so it won't make much of a difference to play a DVD back to a tv.

as for progressive scan, I honestly don't know what exactly it is.. I've heard of it, but that's about it

Comment

Most people use a PC DVD to drive their progressive TV display; you're going about it the backwards and expensive route. Component video (three BNC; yPbPr) is encoded differently from RGB video (five BNC; RGBHV) and would require a transcoder. I'd suggest you try the AVS HTPC forum to get some knowledgeable answers regarding PCs and DVD playback.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
      X