a question about NT 4 service packs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a question about NT 4 service packs.

Well, i noticed that SP6 doesn't update all components in Win NT 4, although they should.
    Example, i was trying to run some programs, and they complained about mfc42.dll, when i checked mfc42 in the system directory, i found it was the original release version dated august 1996.
    The question is ; how to make sure that the service pack updates everything ?
    thanx

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 27 April 2001).]
    GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Service Packs aren't designed to replace all Windows NT files just those which they have updated to fix known problems. Updates to individual Windows components are available from the Microsoft website, go to the download page and do a search on the files you require.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Taz; thanx for the reply, i just checked the SP file with winzip and indeed it didn't have any updated files of mfc42 or mfc42u, just mfc40.

I guess i'll just install the updates i had for win95.

Comment

Just be careful, some dll's are OS specific.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Paulr,i'll just back up the files i wanna replace, and i have win2k on the same machine so i can access my NT partition just in case something goes wrong,i'll check the readme too.

on a side note, anyone knows y is UDMA turned off by default in Win NT ? i used HD tach and azzo benchmarks to test it. very low performance.

I've used the dmacheck, an unsupported and outdated utility from MS, i checked the UDMA enable; but weired thing is it got disable after couple reboots.

Is there other ways to enable UDMA for NT ?
          Are the intel drivers better than the own MS atapi.sys driver which is from SP6 ?

dunno if it's related to me updating the G200 drivers though, have to check again.

[This message has been edited by arbymo (edited 27 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
          X