X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epson printer & USB problems

Hi Guys,

Got an odd one for y'all:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 870 printer on my USB port and it used to work fine. I tried using it yesterday for the first time in a a few weeks (first time since a complete re-install of everything) and I can get only a couple of inches to print of a picture, and if I print text (eg a word document) I get a page and a half then that's it. I get a 'Communications Error' message and it won't print at all then till I reboot PC & Printer.

The USB Cable and printer are fine as I can print perfectly from my WinXP Laptop.

It happens on my PC in both WinMe AND Win2K which seems to me to point to a hardware problem? I use an Asus A7V mainboard, and I've tried the onboard USB plus the A7V has a built in 3 Port USB Hub on a separate USB controller - I've tried that too. IRQs - everything is on IRQ 9 as ACPI does its job.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Oh - I should add that I have a Smartmedia reader and a Compaq iPAQ all running off USB with no problems. I've tried removing them and it makes no difference.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

Comment

How about disabling the serial and parallel ports in the bios?

Comment

VIA has a USB filter driver on their website. I have no information about what it's for, or if it will help you. Sorry.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

686b timing bug ?????
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Wombat - I installed the USB filter driver and it didn't seem to do anything at all - good idea though

The PIT - I have an earlier A7V which has the 686A chip....

Thing that annoys me is that It Used To Work!!

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

Are you using the same version of the printer drivers? Are these Microsoft's or Epson's?
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I've tried Epson's ones that came on the CD with the printer and the drivers that are the latest on Epson's site.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

I assume you've tried it with the other USB devices unplugged.
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Taz:
                    I assume you've tried it with the other USB devices unplugged.</font>
                    Yep!

I've just tried it with a parallel port cable and it works fine (albeit slower!). Must be something odd with my USB - but I've had an idea

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X