Why 1600x1200x32bit @120 Hz >50 fps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why 1600x1200x32bit @120 Hz >50 fps?

Why does everyone say one can't possibly play at a resolution below 1600x1200 with 32 bit colours, 120 Hz refresh rate and over 50 fps? I can't get it. Of course the ones, who have said this are possibly a gamer-lamers, who play 17 hours/day . But still...

When I play I use 640x480 or 800x600 at 16 bit colours and @75 hz. I'm happy if the fps are above 20. (Depending on the game, that is). I'm no gamer myself (as I have probably mentioned a couple of times before :cool ) but I can see no reason why the fps must be above 30 to acchieve the maximum "feel" of the game. I understand that the more fps the more precise the controls are and thus the game is easier and more comfortable to play, but I see no difference between 23 and >30 fps. When I play Serious Sam against my friends in a LAN-game, their fps is way above 40 (their computers are fast compared to mine) at 1024x768x32bit. I have to play at 640x480x16bit (and disable some cool effects :mad ) to get 25 fps. Still I can beat them all! My controls are just as precise as theirs.

Comment on this if you dare! And don't say "buy a better computer", because I won't do it for next five years!!

------------------
    AMD K6-2/500 Mhz, A586B (Ali Aladdin V), 128MB 100 Mhz SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor DiamondMAX VL 20, Quantum Fireball EX6.4A, HP 9110i, Intel i740 8 MB (laughter...), SB64PCI, Winbond W89C940, Yakumo EN1570DO (15"), Logitech mouse, keyboard and stuff, Kenwood amplifier and stuff, Win98 (only when no support with i740 in W2000), Win2000, RedHat 7.0
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

(Why won't my smilies work?!?)
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

The smilies seem to be working.

I agree with you. Many people on here also agree with you. If I get 75+ hz I'm happy. Unlike you I find sub-30fps to really be kinda icky, but not unplayable like some people claim. Anything above 30 is just great, as far as I'm concerned.

And as for resolution, I find that the current crop of games are designed to look best at 1024x768 and below. Quake3 at higher resolutions is just silly - it doesn't look good at all. Everything is too damn tiny (I don't know if this is the scaling algorithm, or just too much resolution for non-detailed textures, or what).

Oh well. We are in the minority. All the rest are FPS kiddiez who think nVidia RAWKS.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

As for average FPS, it basically means that if you have more FPS than you actually need or your brain can comprehend, if/when the screen does get very busy the frame rate drop wont be as noticeable.
        If you're averageing a just about acceptable frame rate, then when a lot of things are happening on screen the rate drop will be more noticeable.
        Although I could play in 1600x1200 @32bit colour I don't find the experience at this resolution enjoyable.
        Not from a frame rate or picture quality point of view - rather from the overall general size of things on screen, I'm far happier in 1024x768.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Villerk, for the smilies: you need to close the "code" for smilies with another :

Like this
          :cool <- does not work
          cool: <- does not work
          <- does work

Oh, BTW, i usually play at 800*600*16 and i can say: if the going gets tough the FPS go down - and me too

Comment

Working...
          X