hm... which DVD-ROM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hm... which DVD-ROM?

I have been building a sexy little machine for my mate over the past few days. Specs to follow.

He is now after a good DVD-ROM however to my dismay, it would appear that my favorite brand, Plextor, don't make any....

Anyone know of a good drive?

specs:
    T'bird AXIA 1.3 (not o/ced yet)
    Asus A7V133
    512MB Crucial CAS2
    IBM ATA100 31GB HD
    Plexwriter 12x10x32 IDE
    Sb Live! 5.1
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

One of the following....

Pioneer DVD-106S Slot-in 16x IDE DVD
    Pioneer DVD-305S Slot-in 10x SCSI DVD

Available region free from www.overclockers.co.uk

Maybe someone could tell me why Pioneer SCSI DVD's are always slower than the IDE in terms of their rated speed rather than actual speed?

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 23 April 2001).]
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

the pioneer 106(quieter than the 105) or toshiba x12dvd.
      the toshiba is clonecd compatible but not the pioneer!

Comment

i have the 16x dvd drive from pioneer and sometimes it has fits with some magazine cds like pcgamer which make it go nuts for some reason but everything else runs fine

------------------
        MSI K7TPro2 Duron 750@900
        256Ram G400DH32mb
        Pioneer SCSI 16xDVD
        msn messenger id: mkanashta
        DFI NFIIUltra 400
        756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
        Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
        Windows XP pro
        msn messenger id: gchisel
        Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

Paddy,
          Aren't you talking about a CD writer?
          I don't have any info, I just wanted to clarify the question.
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I just got notice that I can pick up the DVDROM.. .I'll report on it tomorrow

Comment

dZeus - I found the firmware a week ago, after I finally got my RMA after 7 months (well I RMA'd a poor Toshiba 10x, and got back a slot loading Pioneer, which was nuie)

Drop me a mail and I@ll pass it on.

Haven't quite got up the courage to flash it yet 8-)

Uberlad

------------------
              -------------------------
              8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
              5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
              -------------------------
              8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
              5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

I've been using the Toshiba's since the SD-M1202 with very good results.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We had a big thread on this a while back. A LOT of good info in there ---> http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002687.html

If you do decide to get a Pioneer, get the slot-load version. There's no real difference in performance or anything compared to the tray-load, but the slot-load is just, well, cool

Comment

I've ordered the Pioneer 305S 2 weeks ago, but it's still not in

I'll report on it as soon as I get it

Though I haven't found any firmware on the web yet that can make this drive region-free. I'll see what overclockers.co.uk have done to their drive

Comment

uberlad
                      Do you mean to say you've got a regionfree 305S firmware?
                      If you do, I'd be mighty in'erested
                      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Cheers for all the info everyone!

I went out and bought the Slot loading Pioneer. Thanks again! Now if only i could discourange him from using his GF 2 GTS Pro!

Paddy

p.s. Chuck: erm... I was talking about a DVD-ROM, but thanks anyway!
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well, some days I am confused and other days I am more confused
                          chuck

PS I have a 104s & like it a lot.
                          It does not handle out-of-balance CDs very
                          well, but otherwise it's been great.

Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

You wouldn't be the same otherwise
                            Nice to hear from you!

Paddy

Comment

ok, first impression with Pioneer 305S:

DVD: very low CPU utilization when watching movies, and haven't found the time yet to try to test the full DVD reading potential by ripping a DVD to a fast device yet (more to come )

mode1 CDROM/CDR: very fast, quite a bit faster than my Plextor PlexWriter 12x4x32 SCSI. It reaches the specified 40x CDROM performance on the edge of the CD, and even goes slightly over that speed

mode2 CDROM: can I say SLOOOOOWWW!!! about 7 speed average when copying a whole VCD, when my plexwriter can manage 24 speed average

DAE: 12 speed CLV, tested with Audiocapture 2000, included with Plexmanager2000 tools... and the quality is right on par with ripping from the Plextor drive itself. Note that the Plextor drive does between 17x - 24x speed ripping average for audio cds.. so it's much slower than the Plextor again on this point.

CloneCD: the drive doesn't support the features needed by CloneCD, so it's not much use there... fortunately you only need a cdwriter with full cloneCD support, as reading copy-protected cds often only works properly at 1x or 2x speed, making cd-to-cd copies with CloneCD a practically non-existant feature anyway... and fortunately my PlexWriter fully supports CloneCD

I must note that the DVDs I put in it became rather warm to the touch after some time in the drive. I haven't tried the firmware from uberlad, as I didn't get it from him yet (still waiting patiently after I searched half the net for it ).

Comment

Working...
                              X