Wrong DirectX ver for D3D? Hmm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong DirectX ver for D3D? Hmm?

I have DX8a installed on my system(specs at the end) and in the DXdiagnostic thingy in control panel, it shows all DX8 (4.08.00.040) drivers except for direct3D, it shows as DX7!
    (4.07.00.070) What gives? Is this ok, or do I need to do something? Mech4 works and it is supposed to need DX8.

------------------
    AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 512megsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 6.21 ,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
    Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem,Linksys EtherFast LNE100TX nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico
    AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

No one can help me here? YOu guys are always the best at this sort of thing. Oh well, I guess I am out of luck. Dang.

Comment

Most likely you are running an outdated version of the DirectX control panel applet which was intented to be used by DX developers only and is part of the DirectX SDK.

It's just that many people like to have that sexy icon around in their Control Panel and install the applet ripped from the SDK by some websites. Since Dx8 this has become impractical as the applet relies on a few external utilities found in the SDK. If you really must have it, just install the DX SDK. It's approximately a 100 MB download.

End-users should be using DXDiag which ships as part of the DirectX run-time and is updated whenever you update DX. (Start -> Run -> DXDiag)

Check if you have a file called d3d8.dll in your Windows\System folder (System32 for Win2k).

If it isn't there you should reinstall DX.

[This message has been edited by fds (edited 25 April 2001).]

Comment

Thanx alot, I have that file. I will use the correct diagnostic.

------------------
        AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 512megsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 6.21 ,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
        Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem,Linksys EtherFast LNE100TX nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico

Comment

Crap, I just ran dxdiag like you said, and in the version area, there are several 4.07 and a few 4.06 files in there. Also, on the Direct Draw test in full screen, I did not see the white box bouncing around like in the windowed part of the test. Again, hmmm, what gives?

------------------

Comment

Your version numbers are perfectly good.

As long as the Notes filed shows no problems on the DirectX Files tab of DXDIAG, you should be fine.

Not all files are updated in every DirectX release if no changes were necessary and no updates have been made. Also some old files are kept for compatibility with legacy applications while the new files get another file name, as in the case of "d3d8.dll" etc.

So having some older version numbers on some of the files is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
            Also, on the Direct Draw test in full screen, I did not see the white box bouncing around like in the windowed part of the test.
            </font>
            Now this one isn't normal.

Maybe the test will succeed if you try it again. Make sure no applications which might interfere with it are running in the background.

If it still doesn't work then a different driver revision for your video card could be the cure. I personally wouldn't bother though if the games you want to play are working nicely.

Comment

Just another idea, it could be that your monitor takes a while to change itself to another resolution and the test was simply finished before your display could get a chance to establish the new resolution.

That test is rather short and I could see the bouncing box for only a second too.

Comment

Thanx, I figured it might be a time issue, as it just goes to black and then it changes back again real quick.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X