I need a temperature monitor that displays negative temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a temperature monitor that displays negative temps

Howdy all. I always liked to use Hardware Sensors Monitor Pro for my temperature checking needs, but I discovered today it will not display negative temperatures. I put a 120 watt peltier on my coppermine 600 (I get cold just thinking about that thing), and it seems to be working fantastically so far, but I would very much like to see what temperature he cpu is at. If anyone knows where I can get a good temp sensor program plz post a link. Thanks much.

AFAIK your CPU should NEVER reach negative temperatures because you'll get ice on your CPU pins or something and your PC will go BOOM... or something

Actually, I forgot why, but you should never cool your CPU too much, and I hope your HSF is able to transport the heat away from the peltier (although if you do reach negative temps and they STAY negative that should be no problem )

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Well, the first and most obvious issue with your CPU temperature going below zero is the whole water thing, as az mentioned. The problem there I don't think is caused by the ice, though, it is caused by the ice melting and becoming water. Water is a pretty good electrical conductor, last I checked....

The only other problem I can think of would be caused by the general operation of the processor on a physics level. Processors cannot operate over an arbitrary temperature range, however I would think that the minimum operating temperature of your processor is probably well below what a peltier is capable of attaining.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Actually, water is a pretty poor conductor. But once you get impurities in it to give it lots of nasty ions....

ick.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hey speaking of Peltiers... I am getting two for free because my soon to be father in law (as of this june coming up) was over and I was talking to him about how I wanted to cool my system more to maybe get a few more Mhz (Cele 2 566@901 with just air cooling and a startech copper based heatsink)

(He is an head electrician at a steel plant) And when I mentioned peltiers he's like.. oh yeah.. I got a few of those at home... why... do you want them... (It didn't take me that long to say yes)

Right now he is testing them out (He has quite a few in his basement) to find the ones that work best without drawing too many amps...

I can't wait...

Charles

------------------
          Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I haven't the slightest concern for condensation actually. I had some insulation in a can lying around so I turned my whole cpu unit into a big ball of insulation. I ran it for 12 hours, it was below freezing the whole time AFAIK, and I didn't have any condensation at all. I was just curious as to the actual temperature it was running at.

Comment

The CompuNurse sensors hasve a range of -40 to 90 degC and are only $14.95 each. They come with a flat sensor and have a three second sample cycling.

http://www.Inflowdirect.com/comthersen.html

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Working...
              X