Reload Op System After BIOS Flash????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reload Op System After BIOS Flash????

Read a post elsewhere that recomended a complete op system reload after a BIOS flash.

Reason given was during OS installations, the
    setup program reads the register set up by the BIOS. Change the BIOS, the register changes.

SO does this have some merit or not? I never reloaded anything after a BIOS flash and encountered disaster.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Never bothered here either. However I've seen dupclicate entries being loaded under safe mode after the bios has gone from a older type bios to newer one that supports acpi. This slows the system down and tends to cause shutdown problems. However removing these dupclicates and letting windoze redetect everything solves this.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have visited safe mode from time to time and deleted duplicates devices too. Never put the two together. Thanks for the info!
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Ghosting is a fast way to install a os ont a new machine...

And when it is done from a clean master install it's not that bad...

but when the "same" "os" is ghosted from machine to machine to machine funny things show upp when you enter safe mode...

I was contracted to do a system clean of a computer and boted it up in safe mode and found 20 each of diferent cd-roms, monitors, hdd's, modem's, IDE controllers etc etc...

The delete button on the keyboard I was using almost wore out!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

On most new motherboards Win 9x will automatically detect the changes and update accordingly ... but that's only when there is some major changes .... on minor changes nothing happens which is OK because no change is needed from the Op.sys point of view.
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Actually windows won't detect the changes with a new type of bios. You have to go and remove all the stuff in safe mode like was said, then reboot. When you reboot, not much will be detected, so what needs to be done is add/remove hardware and let it manually detect everything, this way it will find what it needs.

Rags

Comment

One thing I can't understand is why does windoze suddenly decide to make dupclicate entries when theres been nothing done to the system.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This can happen when you move a device in it's slot, disable it, or make a change in the bios.

Rags

Comment

there is the easy option... if you know you're going to make some big changes, you can create a new hardware profile, just copy the existing one,.. when you reboot, windows will say it cant work out which one its on, and will re-detect everything
                  You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

never had to....except

1) flashed bios on a chaintch pentium board so it could ID my k6-233, win95 freaked and refused to boot, even into safe mode. reinstall fiXed it.

2) I flashed the firmware on my adaptec 2940 uw, windows 98 freaked out, for some reason it could not ID the HDD's proerply, win NT 4 and linux booted without a prblem. but inorder to get win98 going I had to reinstall.

They are the only two flashing issues I have had after flashing multiple motherboards,video cards and scsi cards multiple times.
                    Its also recomened that you run your processor at it standard speed during a bios flash, I don't (k6233 at 250,celery 300 at 450 and a 750 duron at 1G) and havn't had problems yet...lucky?

Comment

Working...
                    X