How long can yours last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can yours last?

Just got bored so I thought I would start a thread of interest to me.

What is the longest you have had a single install of an OS on a computer for without the need for a reinstall

My old record is 3 years after upgrading my first IBM Compatible (Compaq 510CDS 486@33Mhz) from Dos 6.22/Win 3.1 with Tabworks Overlay to the original Win95 Upgrade.

Lately with my new computer I once made 5 Months with Win98SE.

------------------
    Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

I've had Win98SE in two of my systems for about 18 months. Since I do a lot of betaing the other systems aren't that lucky and the rest aren't that old.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

6 Years - SCO UNIX 3.2v4.2 - still running strong.... On an old 486 DX2 66 with 8MB RAM and 360MB hard drive... Woo-Hoo...
      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950
      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Funny you should ask. I'm about to add a third drive to my RAID array and I'm thinking about taking the opportunity to replace my two year old installation of Win98 with W2K. I ran NT 4 WS for four years at my last job w/o reinstalling as well as NetWare 4.11. I never reinstall the OS on production boxes unless its time for a new OS or version.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

That would be Netware 3.1. I installed two servers for a client in 1991 and they're still running today. Just reboot once a month and replace hardware as it fails.

On my own systems the record goes to Win2K, running fine for a year now. But I do Ghost the drive before making any substantial changes, it has saved quite a few reinstalls.

Comment

My current seems to have to last some time more....

Every time i close Sisoft Sandra i get a KMODE exception in Evian.sys (Fast trakk Raid controller) but that's an "other topic"?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

All night long, baby!

Comment

Hey Rags.I think You are confusing the topic title for "HOW LONG CAN YOU LAST"!

I figured the record would be either UNIX or Novell.

And No ... Commodore OS don't count... its firmware.. LOL :P

Charles

------------------
                Canadian... Hell Ya!!!
                AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Depends on how you look at it

Comment

My P133. Was running Win95a from 1995-1997 I think. After that, some settings got fuxx0red and I had to reinstall. Took the opportunity to put Win95b on it. Haven't changed the OS since then. There's also a partially-functioning 386 I have somewhere, that's still running Win 3.1 and DOS 5.0. Been like that since 1993 I think.

Comment

"Hey Rags.I think You are confusing the topic title for "HOW LONG CAN YOU LAST"!"

I think he meant his system works all night long but needs reinstalled the next day!!
                      Kidding, Rags.
                      Trung.
                      MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
                      AMD Athlon 64 3200
                      1024 MB PC3200 RAM
                      WD 160 GB HDD
                      2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
                      ATI 9500 64 Videocard
                      Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
                      Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
                      Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

My Millenium is now running without problems since about a year. Although it does have its quirks now and then, I have no real problems with it.

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by cbman:
                          And No ... Commodore OS don't count... its firmware.. LOL :P
                          </font>
                          Oh, such a pity! I thought I was going to break the record with AmigaOS 3.1 that's installed on my A4k ever since it came out (when was that 1990? 1992?)

OS reinstalls - what's that
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

About 5 286SX25 that have DOS 6.22 on them that havent been upgraded since about 94. Only been rebooted once in that time too (Y2K).

My mothers got an old amega with GEM (JEM?) on it. Its an early GUI OS. Im pretty sure that was from 90 or 91. Doesnt get used much though.

Ali

Comment

Hmm...

An NT4 Server box of mine ran 3 years... until I decided to upgrade it to Win2k. I presume it would have kept running for another 3 years.

Some of the NT4 WS boxes at work have been running since NT4 came out.

And there are a few Win95 boxes around there that have 5-year-old Win95 installs.

- Gurm

------------------
                              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X