Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming soon to a cinema near you...FCPGA II : The What?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon to a cinema near you...FCPGA II : The What?

Ok, I see Abit have their FCPGA2 boards announced - all I need to know now is...what is FCPGA2?

Ta

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I'm just gessing, but could it be the new socket that Intel was dooing for the P4? It's supposed to be released in 4-5 months if I remember well and that P4 is supposed to have L1 cache.... and 2-3 other things that I can't remember right now.

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Yup, as far as I know its the 'new' board for the Pee4 processor. Thats right folks, those who were dumb enough to buy the current Pee4 can't upgrade it to the next version of the cpu :P

Supposedly *ntel is going to put some of the stuff back in the chip that they hacked out in order to get it released (hence the currently crappy performance).

Comment

Simple, it's the next version of FCPGA thingies.

Glad to be of assistance....

On a more serious note, that sucks about the P4's socket changing. About performance, I thought part of the problem was also related to the fact that compilers aren't quite yet optimized for the P4, and unless you compile the code to be optimized for it, you will get poor performance?

Regardless, with that many pipeline stages, clock-for-clock it aint gonna do as well as one would maybe desire.

b
        Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

rylan, I guess you mean the Jacksonville technology... it's SMT (symmetrical multi-threading). They've put it in the P4 wilamette, but it's not used, probably because there are still some hardware flaws in it? If so, it shows that the P4 release was very premature, and a direct answer to Intel's failure to pump out higher speeds Coppermines to compete with AMD's thunderbirds.

P4 might show a very interesting architecture, as long as it's not crippeled as much as in it's current form (wilamette + virtually no SSE2 support)

Comment

No, this is on an i815EP board - so not P4!
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Hmm.. dunno. Unless its for the faster celery chips or something.
              Man.. I thought *ntel was gonna get rid of that crappy 815 chipset too..the damned thing just doesn't know when to die :P

Comment

What's your big gripe with the 815?

Rags

Comment

rylan

Long live 815 - It may not be tweakers heaven, but it seems to cope with any and everything I have been able to throw at it on 34 systems now.

Whats up?

------------------
                  Lawrence

[This message has been edited by LvR (edited 20 April 2001).]
                  Lawrence

Comment

FCPGA2 could be for the 0.13um copper P3 the Tualatin .....

[This message has been edited by Kosh Naranek (edited 20 April 2001).]
                    Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
                    incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

That sounds more like it Mr Kosh

Ta, P.
                      Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Here you have some pics of the new cpu! http://www.insanehardware.com/scoopage.php?i=00017
                        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

yep same as s370 just requires lower voltages(12v a new VRM standard).
                          and slightly different heatsink requirements

Comment

Working...
                          X