Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best CD audio ripper/MP3 Encoder-Decoder!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best CD audio ripper/MP3 Encoder-Decoder!!!!

This is what i suggest:

Best CD audio ripper: Exact Audio Copy (www.exactaudiocopy.de)
    This awesome FREEWARE ripper is the only program I've seen to offer secure extraction. EAC reads everything at least twice in order to detect any possible flaws in the DAE quality. Also EAC features best interface for using external encoders like LAME.EXE. EAC can even run command line encoders on the background while ripping - this improves the speed of encoding and makes using .EXE encoders work just as flexible and comfortable as .DLL codecs. Throw that Audiograbber to the recycle bin where it belongs and start ripping with guaranteed flawless quality.

Best MP3 Encoder: LAME (www.sulaco.org/mp3)
    Another top quality freeware opensource product. The LAME features good speed and awesome sound quality. It's also the only encoder with tweaked and optimised Variable BitRate encoding routines, which one can use to achieve excellent size/quality ratio ( see www.r3mix.net for instructions). LAME outperforms the Fraunhofer codec in speed AND quality and is certainly the only encoder people should use. Best of all, LAME codec is constantly being developed and optimised for even higher speed and quality. I don't wan't see any of you encoding with that XING crap ever again, got it?

Best MP3 decoder: MAD (www.mars.org/home/rob/proj/mpeg/)
    Another best in the industry freeware opensource project. I have always been very sceptic to comments about sound quality among MP3 players. Years ago people were saying that NAD sounds better than anything else. When Sonique replaced NAD the authors boasted about the great quality of their decoder, the Audio Enlightment 4.xx. Nullsoft quickly responded with their own 'cool' MP3 decoder Nitraneā€¦ man were they wrong and it's been a laugh to see the recent tests about the accuracy of MP3 decoders. NAD features a very inaccurate decoder and Sonique isn't much better. Winamp's Nitrane is found to be extremely buggy and the original Fraunhofer based codec of older Winamp versions was actually much better! If you seek improvements to your MP3 playback then have a look at the MAD Mpeg Audio Decoder.

MAD also exist as a plug-in for Winamp and it supports output resolutions from 8 to 32 bits(of course you need something like a Soundscape(~$5000) sound card to use a +24bit output ) .

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 13 April 2001).]
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Those are the three programs I use right now

Comment

I use Grip, LAME, and xmms.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

CDex is also quite nice to extract files - never gave me problems (but then I have a SCSI DVD-ROM).
        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
        My System
        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
        German ATI-forum

Comment

Winamp's mpg123 plug-in v1.18(LAME decoder) is also good
          Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

If you say so I'l stop using XING...
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm using those apps too.
              EAC 0.9 prebeta 9 for audio CD ripping
              LAME 3.88 for encoding (--r3mix -b128)
              RazorLame 1.1.4 beta for LAME frontend
              MAD Winamp plug-in 0.13.0bfor decoding

And Technoid you should stop using Xing because it's encoding quality is terrible.

------------------
              Live long and prosper!
              Live long and prosper!

Comment

If you play a little with Cool Edit Pro, you will see that the Xing encoder cuts out badly above 16kHz.

Besides ,if you compare it with LAME then you realise that:

Xing 192Bitrate = Lame's 128!!!

It is well known that Xing is an encoder which bases more to speed that quality !

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by alessandro:
                  If you play a little with Cool Edit Pro, you will see that the Xing encoder cuts out badly above 16kHz.

Besides ,if you compare it with LAME then you realise that:

Xing 192Bitrate = Lame's 128!!!

It is well known that Xing is an encoder which bases more to speed that quality !
                  </font>
                  do we really hear above 16 kHz ??
                  GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

The last time I checked we humans can hear frequencies between 20 Hz and 20 000 Hz......

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 14 April 2001).]
                    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

I use SoundForge to do all my mp3's, it uses the Fran. codec. Always use VBR and they all sound good.

Rags

Comment

Heh, the default Franhofer codec that comes with Windows only goes up to 56kbps.

Comment

Uhhh...No Heh here, LS.

SoundForge comes with the full codec.

Insert foot into yer mouth

Rags

Comment

Comment

I've been using Lame/EAC for almost a year, and I love it! I use an alternative front-end for lame tho called Lame-Batch, and you can find it here:

http://eal.da.ru/

It hasn't been updated for awhile, but it fullfills all of my meager needs...

PeterV
                              ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Working...
                              X