What f!$% is this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What f!$% is this

Is the following warning in the event viewer showing another potential trashing by the crappy Via chipset.

Windows cannot upload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile your settings are not being replicated.

Detail access denied Build code 2195.

Well I don't have a roaming profile so where is it trying to upload the registry too ?? Or has the registry somehow being corrupted?
    Looking at the time it seems to be when win2k is shutting down.

Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

A virus or hacker?
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well I'm sat behind Nortons firewall which should give a little protection Note a little. The message has now gone away. However after seeing the computer trash itself at least four times due to this timing bug I get nervous about things involving copying.
      I checked Microshaft haven't got a clue what your typing tech net and this came up with zero as normal. I check for virus after I downloaded ie6.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Maybe IE6 is the virus?

Do you have Remote Registry Access enabled or disabled?

b

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

The PIT,

i too have seen this error in my event viewer from time to time...not consistantly. mine said that it couldn't "unload the registry", and that part about roaming profile. i haven't seen it for a while, but if my memory serves me correctly it has something to do with the size of the registry.

try this...bring up the system properties(windows key + break key) > advanced > performance options > change...try adding to the maximum size of the registry. i check mine after application installs(and removes) and tend to add 4 - 6 megs...because the registry will grow during windows 2k sessions. i believe if it runs out of room at that point then it will cache the excess to disk. causing an undue delay in shutting down and timing out.

cc

Comment

Maybe this will help?

MSKB Article

Article ID: Q253820

b
            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Hmmm, looks like your problem wasn't that "crappy" Via chipset, but rather a questionable OS.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X