Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need urgent help big prob with new hardware...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need urgent help big prob with new hardware...

I just sold my hollywood+ and my Litheon 12x dvd to a friend and he has problems with it. The hollywood+ card work's fine with mpegs so i doubt that's the prob.... but when he insert a DVD/CD in the DVD rom he has a blue screen. This happend with the hollywood+ player and any install that are started on this drive.... it would seem that reading crash his pc. What can I do to correct this?

I've checked the IRQs but there's no prob with that since the only card he has is a hollywood and a modem.

I have to find a solution for that by fryday.

His pc specs :

Tomato mb (bx98-3d)
    128 mb of ram... 1*64mb - PC 133 and 1*64 - Pc 66 (maybe.... too much dust on it)
    Savage 4 video card
    1 seagate hd and 1 quantum
    1 cd burner
    the sb16 card is onboard
    and he has a 33.6 modem
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

spazm_1999,

i just fixed a friend of mines dvd drive that was doing the same thing on her computer, different setup though. what it turned out to be was that one of the pins on the interface connector on the back of the drive had pushed in when the cable was attached. i was looking the drive over closely an had that end of the drive at "eye level" and noticed it was pushed in. i used a small pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the pin back out, then i put a dab of super glue around the base of that pin from the other side(you have to take the cover off). put it back together and it worked!\

anyways...just something to check!

good luck

cc

Comment

I'll check that.... but it was working 2 day's ago.

Spazm
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Perhaps a swap the burner and the DVD is in order, ie:
        if the cd burner is master is dvd is slave, swap the jumpers so that the dvd is master and the burner is slave (or visa-versa).
        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

I've tryed that 'cus when the burner was the slave the machine wasn't booting at all. When I swaped them the pc began to boot, but as I said it gave blue screens when a disk is insered in the DVD rom no problem with the cd burner tho.

I'm thinking about something.... since it's a really really old board with old stuff.... could it be that the onboard controller is inconpatible with the dvd rom?

Spazm

Comment

One way to check that is to put only the DVD on that controller. If it's still bluescreening, it might be a problem with the controller or the DVD.

Another thing to try is to put the DVD player behind the master HDD, temporarily. If that's working, it's not the DVD.

An option then would be to buy a (cheap) controller card and put it in for the DVD player.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

The original pc configuration was

Primary :
              - Quantum
              - Seagate

Secondary :
              - CD Burner
              - DVD rom

I changed it to

Primary :
              - Quantum
              - DVD rom

Secondary :
              - CD Burner
              - Seagate

with no luck... the pc booted without a prob, but it was either rebooting to crashing when a disk or a dvd was present in the drive.

Do you think that when i'll add the pci controller all this will be solved?

Spazm

Comment

You've got a good chance that it will be solved by putting the DVD player on a seperate controller card.

Another cheap solution would be to replace the IDE flatcable with a new one. A broken IDE flatcable can make such things happen as well.

Edit: Which Windows is being used? And does it load any drivers for the CD-burner in config.sys / autoexec.bat? Does it load any drivers for the DVD-player in config.sys / autoexec.bat? Did you try to let it load both the DVD and burner using the same drivers?

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 19 April 2001).]
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Windows 98 is used.... and i really doubt he uses any drivers in the config.sys / autoexec.bat ... he may doesn't even know that theses files exist for configs....

Spazm

Comment

The problem has been solved with the new promise card.... he must have a really crappy onboard controller... anyway thanks to all.

Spazm

Comment

Working...
                    X