Overclocking the 1Ghz P3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking the 1Ghz P3?

Well, it looks like Intel is going to be dropping prices pretty soon so.....
    I have a P3-650 running at 933mz (142 fsb)
    I was wondering how high I could expect to
    be able to take a 1Ghz (100 fsb).
    In particular, has anyone seen one make
    1333mz (133 fsb)?
    My MB is Slot1 but I could get a slocket
    if that would help widen my choices.
    TIA!
    Chuck

------------------
    ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 90gig (2x45) IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

afaik, there are only 1GHz P3-EBs available, ie. they already use 133MHz FSB ...
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

forget it ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">P3-1000/100
      $284
      $9
      PC Progress
      888-727-7647

P3-1000/133
      $220
      -$5
      Econo PC
      888-326-6660
      </font>
      just found on Sharky's CPU price guide ... d'oh !

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

No prob Maggi,It took me a while to figure
        out that they were available too.
        chuck

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 18 April 2001).]
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

If you're gonna upgrade, go with AMD. Faster, cheaper, and the new T-Birds (AXIA stamp) are overclocking to over 1.4GHz with just good air cooling.

For the price of a sloktet and a new *ntel Pee3 1GHz, you could get a good SocketA board and a 1GHz T-Bird and still have money left over for lunch

Comment

That price statement might have been true before.....
            But, with the comming Intel price drops, it
            would not be cost effective for me to change motherboards.
            Chuck

PS Besides, I'm still smarting from my adventures with a VIA based FIC 503+.
            And that was four years ago
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

You show me where I could get an Athlon 1G and"GOOD" motherboard for under 220.

The Athlon is a good chip, too bad the chipset support sucks the chrome

Rags

Comment

I went the slotket upgrade route when going from my P!!!/450 to an 850. Replacing the MB didn't make any sense as I've got SCSI on board (Asus P2B-S) and its no effort at all to upgrade just the CPU. I saw the 1GHz P!!! but I was already pushing it with an 850 on this MB (never seen anybody do better). AMD is starting to look like it might be worth a try but I'm still very weary of the chipset support. I don't have to worry about another upgrade for awhile so I have plenty of time to reevaluate the market then.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

As for overclocking the 1GHz P3 ... I don't think that the upcoming P4 was the reason the 1.13 GHz P3 was pulled from the marked, if you catch my drift

Saw a guy on Overclockers with a P3 1000 at 1350, he used a mixture of peltiers and and watercooling.
                  "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by CHHAS:
                    Saw a guy on Overclockers with a P3 1000 at 1350, he used a mixture of peltiers and and watercooling.</font>
                    Dang! My 650 makes 933 at stock volts with a stock cooler!
                    Maybe I should just speed it up using a G800
                    chuck

PS hmmm.... I do have a nephew who sells CPU water coolers. Maybe I could get one at wholesale.

Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

I'm afraid that the P3 chips don't go much higher than 950 - 1050Mhz currently, unless you use extreme cooling measures like peltiers.

Though if you already have a Coppermine capable motherboard, I would advice upgrading to a 700 - 800Mhz Coppermine, and overclock the snot out of it

I agree on Rags that the VIA athlon chipsets blow chunks.. I've heard some positive stuff about the AMD 760 chipset, but not really seen user feedback on it, so I can't tell if it will be as great as it looks to be

Comment

I've got a slot1 PIII 1 GHz, 100 FSB model. It also seemed the most cost-efficient upgrade for me. Has never crashed at 1.1 GHz with stock cooling and I bumped the voltage up a bit. I'm really pretty happy with it, and I didn't expect it to overclock at all.

Warning though; if you pick-up a "retail" version of the 100 FSB 1 GHz, it comes in a slightly different Intel retail box, with warnings it has only been tested in some Intel MBs, blah, blah, blah. Of course I promptly ignored these. And yes, it is an authenic 1 GHz, 100 FSB .

John

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 19 April 2001).]

Comment

Maggi, as we have essential the same mobo (if you still have the Asus P2B), can you run the P3-1GHz/100fsb?

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

http://overclockers.cssftware.com/cpudb/index.cfm has a nice database and they have 26 gig-Hz P3s and the highest entry using a standard HS, went up to 1225MHz ...

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jorden:
                              Maggi, as we have essential the same mobo (if you still have the Asus P2B), can you run the P3-1GHz/100fsb?

Jord.
                              </font>
                              Whoops ... Hi Jord !

Dunno, I don't have an option to try a gig-CPU, but since the 8.5 multiplier that my Celeron uses is also not officially supported, there might be a chance.

I have to ask our admins, if they have a CPU to test and I'll let you know if they got one for me.

Cheers,
                              Maggi

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                              LG BH10LS38
                              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
                              X