Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 doesn't see all the files on a CD-R disc

Folks,

Does anyone have a clue why I can't see all the files on some CD-R discs in Windows 2000?

The problem manifests as follows: usually I find some empty folders or folders with some files missing.

My drive is Toshiba SD-M1212 (DVD-ROM). When I boot to Windows 98SE, I can see all the files. The discs work ok on my secondary PC as well, with a regular CD-ROM drive.

------------------
    AMD Athlon 600 MHz, MSI K7 Pro, 256 MB PC133 SDRAM, G400 32 MB DualHead, SB Live! Platinum, FastTrak66, 2 x Maxtor DiamondMax (total 40 GB), Toshiba SD-M1212, etc..
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

How are you writing the CDs? (ie, in what format?)

Try getting a UDF reader from Adaptec. I think I've linked to the correct one, but as you see it's on Roxio

Hope it can help anyway,

Paul.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Sometimes my W2K will only see one file or directory on the entire disk. If I tell Direct CD to make the disk writable, then after the process is over, I can see all files and directories. I can still see them after the disk is made read only again.

Plexwriter 8432A

Comment

I gave up on CDRW's long ago. Waste of time and don't wanna risk loss of data. Just burn an ordinary CD. Less hassle.
        C:\DOS
        C:\DOS\RUN
        \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Yeah...was pretty disappointed to see that packet-writing is so error-prone. I will admit, however, that DirectCD 5 in Win2k seems to work better than any other packet writer I have ever tried (this from someone who generally detests any software from Adaptec). But CD-R's are so cheap, it's almost not worth the trouble. I just create multi-session disks in WinOnCD. Still more reliable than CD-RW.

Comment

Here are two (partial) screenshots to really show the problem:

http://wwnet.fi/users/lucid/cdshot1.gif

http://wwnet.fi/users/lucid/cdshot2.gif

On pic #1 there's a view of a CD-R folder as seen directly from Windows 2000.
            On pic #2 I have accessed the same disc through my secondary PC.

Comment

This particular disc has been written in one session (it still has space so it hasn't been permanently closed).

My secondary PC is running 98SE.

Comment

Try to update ASPI: http://www.adaptec.com/support/faqs/aspilayer.html

:
                B

Comment

Whoops, it looks like that update isn't supposed to be used with W2k. I mistakenly installed it myself months ago, and luckily don't have any problems.

BTW I have the same Toshiba drive, but I don't share your problem.

:
                  B

Comment

Does closing the disc solve the problem Juha?

Are the multisession disks closed?

And, just out of curiosity, I presume that Slim can't access the files while yuor machine is in Win2k?

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

About CD-RWs, just use them like CD-Rs, when you need one and you are out, simply erase and reuse. Being buried in CDRs is a drag that can be avoided.

Comment

Pace,

The discs have been written with DirectCD.

I have the latest UDF Reader installed but to my knowledge it just adds support for CD-RW discs.

I'm not 100% sure but I think all the CD-R discs in question have been written in multiple sessions (2 or 3).

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Pace:
                          Does closing the disc solve the problem Juha?</font>
                          The session is closed of course, and no, protecting the disc so that it can't be written to again has no effect on this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Are the multisession disks closed?</font>
                          Yes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And, just out of curiosity, I presume that Slim can't access the files while yuor machine is in Win2k?</font>
                          Both shots are taken from Win 2k. Slim runs 98SE only.

When I boot to 98SE on my primary PC, the discs are ok. So the only thing I can point my finger at is Windows 2000.. but since nobody else seems to have this problem, I'm quite puzzled :/

Comment

BTW, my primary PC doesn't have any CD-burning software installed; I use Slim for that.

Yesterday I tried installing DirectCD to Win 2k but that didn't help either.

Comment

I was meaning can Slim access files using Network Neighborhood to the Win2k machine?

It doesn't really matter, but I thought I'd clarify anyway.

Paul.
                              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                              X