Win2k latest compatibility patch does wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k latest compatibility patch does wonders

I don´t really know if this is old news, but the latest MS app update for win2k lets you run the programs under "compatibility mode" - just make a shortcut and pick your choice - win95/win98/win NT 4.0 SP5

In practice, most games that refuseed to run/install on NT/win2k or didn´t detect the correct Dx version now work just fine.

What I found most amusing is that all EA sports games (FIFA´s, SBK 2000/2001 - I only have the demos, but AFAIK the retail games don´t work on win2k) work fine. So EA is deliberatly choosing not to support win2k, because once cheated, their games run just fine...

A major breakthrough, I guess. Is this kind of compatibility XP is about? Will we get to a point that a well patched win2k system = win XP? (almost as win95B with all the patches and IE 4.0 was almost the same as win98)

Well, on the Win2K CD, there was a program called ACOMPAT.EXE or something, where you could choose theses options. You could choose Win95, Win98 etc and select certain options.

Comment

That compatibility mode feature is from XP. I think it was a "bonus" that Microsoft gave to Win2k users...

Comment

Working...
      X