Buckit Now the hard drive has died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckit Now the hard drive has died.

Just after getting the Abit KT7a upgrade working the bast!"£ hard drive failed. Thats the 2nd one thats failed on in the last two months.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Maxtor again?
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Quantum there Jord.

Go with IBM's
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Nah it's IBM the first one to ever to konk on me.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

OMG!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

We've hardly EVER seen a fujitsu drive go down at my local computer shop - we use them all the time in virtually all the machines we build.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

LOL Steve...

That is because they are slow enough to not put undue stress on anything.

Just kidding.. my main drive is a Quantum Fireball Plus KA but my secondary (Backup/FTP/Movie/Storage/Everything) Drive is a Fujitsu and I have never had any problems with it...

------------------
              Hang Low and Limber
              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by The PIT:
                Nah it's IBM the first one to ever to konk on me.</font>

Wich model,size,age, etc etc??

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I`ve never seen an IBM dying ...

MK

------------------
                  Celeron II 860 MHz + Golden Orb
                  256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                  G400 16MB @ PD 5.52 + TGL
                  20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
                  Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                  <font size="1">
                  Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                  ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                  Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                  2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                  256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                  Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                  ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                  Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                  Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                  Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                  HP Deskjet 959C
                  Plantronics LS1 Headset
                  all on W2k Professional SP2
                  </font>

Comment

Oh I have - 3 of them within a couple of months of each other in one server at work! They were over 3 years old, admittedly, but even RAID5 has problems when it's only got 3 drives and they all start playing up at once!!

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Interesting about the Fujitsu drives. At work we have 9 older workstations - 6 with Fujitsu, 3 with IBM. Aside from the harddrives, they are identical. Five of the six Fujitsu drives have failed, while the 3 IBMs are still in use. I've only had two drives fail on me at home - a Fujitsu, and an WD SCSI (hah hah..what was I thinking?). Guess we just got a bad run of drives.

John

Comment

At one of my university's computer labs, *every* Western Digital drive failed with 2 months of each other. (About 20 computers purchased at the same time)

Comment

Am I the only one that has had good luck with WD? Whenever I build a new machine for myself or a friend I always use IBM, but my home server and 3 older machines are all using WD's with nay a problem to be seen.

Comment

Downloaded one of IBMs disk utilities and let this loose on the hardrive. It found a couple of bad clusters fixed them and said everything was okay but you still can't format it.
                            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've got a WD and an IBM inside my computer. But these days WD's are remarked IBM's with slight timing changes so they're a bit faster. I don' buy anything but WD and IBM hard drives.

I worked at a small shop once and we had an entire shipment of Fujitsu's that were DOA. Will never buy Fujitsu again.

Quantum/Seagate/Maxtor...I know too many people that have had too many problems with these cheap @$$ drives. Don't like them either.

Jammrock

------------------
                              Athlon 650
                              256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                              87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                              Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                              SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                              Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                              Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X