Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK now where did these cables go again?? Can someone help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK now where did these cables go again?? Can someone help.

I ripped all the cables out of a freebe computer and didn't look too closely where they went. I am used to my asus p2b motherboard where there are primary and secondary ide pins to connect my harddrive cdrom, misc. The problem is that this old dell (pentium 90)has 1 ide on motherboard, and it says the other is a isa ide. I know there was a cable connected to the old soundblaster 16. I can get the hardrive to boot with the cdrom not connected but ive tried to set hardrive master and cdrom slave off the 1 and it wont boot. Ive also tried to connect the ide cable to the cdrom and to the soundblaster card(grabbing at straws at this point)Can someone explain to me what might be wrong. I have 2 Pentium 3 systems already but was hoping to just use this one to back up data on my lan with. Thanks

------------------
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro
    Asus P2b(1011),P3 500,256 mb pc133,Matrox G400 DH,Asus 50x,Iomega zip,Mitsumi CDR,Ibm 20 gb hd,Promise ultra 66 controller,Sb Live,Win 2000 pro

Well then I think the hd should be connected to the mb and the cdrom to the soundcard, both set on master (probably). What you've got there is a soundcard with a ATAPI IDE connector especially designed for CD ROMS.
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

With the extra thing in mind, that you have to enable this IDE port on the Soundblaster in Windows and give it an IRQ.

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, Where do I enable this ide port, I guess I should first install the soundblaster card drivers, I have put a harddrive out of another machine in it so the video, sound modem need to be setup correctly. This drive has Win98se on it already. Will this be in device manager or do I need to install something in add\remove hardware?

------------------

Comment

Hi KS,
          If all's well, the device manager on the Win98se drive has the available information already. The bad thing about it, is that if you install the drive in your system, it will find the SB Live as well, so you have to move around some of your IRQs to appropriate positions. (IRQ5 for the SB16, the ide port on the SB16 uses IRQ10, which is probably used by the videocard/SBLive and/or NIC. Check for a free IRQ through Showing of IRQs)

My SB32 also has such an ide port, and I have disabled it in WinME, for I don't use it. Usually you can attach only one device to this port. So only one CD-ROM or HDD.

Do you want to hang this drive in your system with all the hardware as in your sig?
          Or do you want to hang this drive in another PC?

I'm asking so we can make a strategy of things you should and should not do

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Okay KS, Typing it a second time, as my first post was magically lost
            If you need it for the Dell itself, we have these 2 options:[list=1][*] Buy a new flatcable with 3 connectors. Put the first connector into the motherboard, make sure the red wire is pointing to the 1 on the motherboard. Plug the second in the harddrive, making sure it's set as master and the red wire on the flatcable points to the power connector. Plug the 3rd connector into the CD-ROM, make sure it's jumpered as slave, red wire poiting to the power connector.[*] Plug the Harddrive into the main IDE port on the motherboard and the CD-ROM into the IDE Port on the SB16. Make sure both drives are jumpered as Master. If this is not working, swap the cables around. Still not working? Swap the cables of the HDD and CD-ROM around and reswap until you're sure they don't work. They might be broken.[/list=a]

To make this system working, I'd go for option one. As a P90 won't have the option to boot from CD-ROM (and to make sure there's no option like that, go to Dell Support). Check for a latest BIOS for the Dell. If there's a newer one than the one your PC has, download and flash your Dell to the last one.

Now check what kind of SB16 you have. ISA or PCI? ISA are the long black slots, PCI are the shorter white slots. Download the latest SB16 drivers for either slot from SB16 ISA or SB16 PCI
            Both these drivers are Win98

Hmmm... I can't find much on the Number9 Videocard, sorry. Swap it with an old videocard you have lying around. No G200?

Make a Win98 bootfloppy. Make sure there's an option for booting with the CD-ROM drivers available. Make sure the CD-ROM drivers are on the floppy. Make sure fdisk and format are on the floppy. Make sure you have the SB16 and other drivers on other floppies, or burned on a CD the CD-ROM of this system can read.

Okay, make sure that before you reboot the Dell with the bootfloppy in, that your system is working with the CD-ROM and the HDD on one cable on the main IDE mobo port. If the BIOS/POST finds both the hdd and the CD-ROM, I think you know what to do from here

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden- I shouldn't have put my sig with this post caues it really doesn't apply here. That is my good system that is running fine. This system is a old Dell pentium 90 with a #9 video card, sb 16, 48mb ram,win 95. It's really a piece of crap but I will connect it to my lan and back data up on it only. I will mess with irq's and see what I come up with. I will run fdisk, and clean install windows but need the cdrom working 1st. Thanks

Comment

Jorden- I would like to report that all is well now after your help. I haven't had alot of time to mess with it lately but it is working by setting up as master\slave on same ide cable. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Glad to have been of service, KS

Jord.
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                  X