HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD

maybe friday 13th isnt humbug, wanted to install win2k but had problems with my 20gig maxtor hd, it said it was 8 gigs and couldnt format it, went to a machine on which win2k is already installed, still 8 gigs. formatting worked though, now running the win2k scandisk, hope it works, winME scandisk didnt find anything. anyone know what the problem might be?

How did you start off? Was the drive formatted already, partitioned in any way? Did you run FDISK to rid the drive of previous data? Or check if there is a hidden partition on the drive?

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

i had winME installed, then i wanted to install win2k over the cd-boot. didnt format the hd before, probably thats the mistake. how can i fix it, can i fix it at all??

edit: i can format it for ntfs under win2k, will only give 7.87gigs, if i format for fat32 it wont work. the hd is a maxtor diamond max plus 40, the number is 52049u4

[This message has been edited by Topha (edited 13 April 2001).]

Comment

As I said, run fdisk, from a boot disk for instance. Tell it yes to use support for big drives, then delete all partitions on the drive. Reboot the PC with the bootdisk, then run fdisk again and set up the drive again.
        Then format it.

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

how do i create a bootdisk under win2k?
          i tried fdisk from the winme bootcd and it usually froze, guess ill try again

Comment

How to create a bootdisk under Win2k

And bookmark Windows Trouble for the future. Easier than waiting for answers here

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

okay, found that about the bootdisk in the windows help file (although i would have needed four disks for that), but the problem is: fdisk freezes when i try to change to the problem-disk. on the other pc, when the disk was the primary hd it would freeze when i wanted to see the partitioning-data, when i wanted to add ad partition, when i wanted to delete a partition (so it froze whenever i chose to do something). i reckon its broken, and there is no way to save it... buhu

Comment

Take a visit here and download IBM's ZAP utility. It works on any brand SCSI or IDE drive and will remove any kind of partition.

Be careful to select the proper drive when you run it!

http://www.storage.ibm.com/techsup/h...elcome.htm#Zap

Frank

Comment

okay, im installing win2k on another hd, with the damaged one as slave. during the installation (the part at the very beginning when you have to chose your hd) it told me it had several hundred thousand gigs in several partitions, which would be a nice error if it worked

Comment

why do my posts all start with "okay"??

Comment

Its better if your posts start with OKAY

Better than DAMN

Charles

------------------
                      Hang Low and Limber
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

thats the problem: damn would in my case be more appropriate than okay

Comment

The problem is between the keyboard and the chair, Topha
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

i dont even talk about THAT problem anymore, causes to many other problems
                            i gave it up, i wanted to give my dad my pc, but since he is mainly doing typing stuff i guess ill just give him my ram. gonna sell my pc now, anyone want a hd? maybe you can get it to work

Comment

Working...
                            X