default homepage IE6b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• default homepage IE6b

Each time i start computer my default homepage is set to "www.globalsearch.com",
    i have changed it to "use blank" but after
    restart it is back in glob*****, how do i
    remove this spam site for good ?

Thanks
    clatto verata nectKRHMM...

How did you set it to the "Use Blank"? Just by pressing that button, and then the OK button? If so, try it again, then press the Apply button (the one on the right) first, then OK. Some MS programs are picky about this Apply button being used first.

Otherwise it might be a bug in IE6b, and you have to tell MS about it. They will probably have a bug-page somewhere.

Good luck

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks, i did it with apply and with OK only, no difference. i allso did a virus scan but found nothing.
      how i can see what program/folder loads that
      default page ?

thanks

Comment

I can't access regedit from this machine (NT profiles ), but here's how to do it the easy way

Start>Run>regedit

Now tools(?)>search/find>globalsearch

I think it is in the reg, just change the url to the one you want - again, I'm not sure if "about:blank" will work, but you can always just use a "file:///c:/win/blank.htm" (which can be generated with notepad, just save a blank file as a .htm file).

P.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

You can do it easier than that, I guess, by just telling the location bar you want to go to Aboout:blank, then go to Tools>Internet Options and set it to use Current Page.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

OK, thanks guys but no help
            I used "find" and nothing.
            i did reg_HKEY CURRENT USER-software-microsoft-IE-main(removed gloshit and replaced that with blank)-search(same thing)

and when i start up it's there again

Comment

Some software (especially dialup software or software with built in ads) changes IE's start page..

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Jord: I just thought that the registry would be a better bet if his dialog box wasn't working

And az raised a good point! I had a machine in with a severe hard drive problem, and another niggling little quirk: the email address on OE5 was wrong, even though I fixed it on a visit to the guys house. Anyway, once I had fixed the drive and setup OE correctly, I sent it back...

Sure enough..."you've setup the email wrong again!" The thing is, the first thing I'd done was stop all the crap loading at startup - including the ISPs program! Hehe, and I switched it on before leaving...

Time to add this to computer stupidities

P.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

OK this solved that problem

http://www.globesearch.com/changehome.html

but i still don't know from where i got it
                  in first place....

Comment

Working...