I´m sick to death about .avi files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I´m sick to death about .avi files

Is there really not a decent player out there for .avi files, that can download apropriate codecs, when it doesn´t have the right one?

You download a <insert high number here>MB avi file from some yoyo on the net, only to find out (in about 1 out of 5 cases)that MediaPlayer can´t play it, because it can´t download the right codec (from MS website I assume). Sometimes you just get the sound, sometimes you get nothing at all.

And when you search the web for avi codecs you find out that there is about a fantasyllion different ones.

Does anybody know an alternative to MediaPlayer, even if it´s just for playing .avi´s??? Pleeeaaaasse
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

D/load div-x!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I allready have Div-X installed
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Do you have AngelPotion Video codec installed?

------------------

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

don't install the angelpotion codec! it messes up some stuff, and is completely unnecessary if you've got DivX ;-) installed already (both are MS MPEG-4).

If you don't believe me on this, then read what the author of VirtualDub had to say about AngelPotion

what you need to do is the following: download a avi FourCC code changer program (like from www.inmatrix.com), and open the video file you want to watch (only open from a writeable location). If you are sure that the codec needed for the file is a MS MPEG-4 clone, then change the FourCC code to DIV3 (both boxes in the FourCC code changer program). Now it will use the DivX ;-) codec to decode the file.

MS MPEG-4 clones are DivX ;-), AngelPotion, smr and others.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by dZeus:
            don't install the angelpotion codec! it messes up some stuff, and is completely unnecessary if you've got DivX ;-) installed already (both are MS MPEG-4).
            </font>
            I had to install it on my server at home before I could get all avi files to work! I had div-x installed before that same thing with one of the computers at work! Don't know why but after installing it everyting worked!
            BTW there is a fix available!

------------------

Comment

Guru, as I explained already, both DivX as AngelPotion are MS MPEG-4. Just change the FourCC code as I mentioned, and you don't need the AngelPotion codec to watch those videos.

Comment

dZeus - Yup... FourCC code changer did the trick! nice

Comment

Working...
                X