Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 - ISA into PCI does go? (SCSI people req.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 - ISA into PCI does go? (SCSI people req.)

And here is problem number 2 (or 1 if you're reading this first )

I have a machine that requires an HP tape backup drive to be installed, and it's currently using an ISA SCSI card I believe And the system I'm transferring it into certainly doesn't have ISA slots!

My first thought was to use my SCSI card that I got with my CDRW, which is an Advansys PCI thing, SCSI-2 and either 50 or 68pin. Anyone know much about HP tape backups? Is it likely that it'll work on my card?

The tape drive is a HP Colorado Surestore T4 External. I'm off to www.hp.com to see what they can tell me about the drive.
    <hr>
    ...and now part 'b'...

And, if I'm losing my card...what's the best card for me?

I could use their old ISA one, but I'd much rather have a shiny new Adaptec thing or something (especially when the cost of it is 'covered' if you know what I mean ). I'd like something that can take a wide variety of devices, and maybe RAID too? I'm not going to go over the top, but I'd probably never upgrade it again, so even mild future proofing would be nice

TIA, P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

You should be able to use the pci card if it's got the appropiate connector on the back. I don't know if there are any converters.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

SCSI is SCSI is not SCSI, (that make sense if you read <a href="http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/scsi/index.html"> this guide</a>

It will explain the different types of SCSI, suffice to say that SCSI is backwardly compatible, with some caveats. So you should be fine.

Colin
      You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

The only problem I can see is with the backup software. Many old backup programs (and scanner drivers) from HP were coded specifically for the ISA card that came with the drive/scanner.

That said, there ought to be an update.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

you'll find the external connector matches the capability of the card,
          ie my 1510, has a narrow connector
          my 2940UW has a wide...

Comment

On a somewhat related note, I have an old Mustek 6000cx SCSI scanner to put in a machine with no ISA slot. It says that the scanner is compatible with the (ISA) AVA-1502 and AVA-1505. My question is will it work with the AVA2906?, which seems to be a staight PCI version of the 1505. (I think so, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew so) It uses the same cable as the 1505
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

If your only running a CD-RW driver from the card something like the Iwill 2930U would do, supports SCSI/SCSI II/Ultra SCSI and has an onboard BIOS. Price is around £ 20.00.

Full details here :- http://www.iwill.net/products/spec.a...lus&SupportID=
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Oops, I've been dreaming again - it's external - just ignore my 50/68 pin comment But, is there any differences in the external connectors? Are all ext's narrow? (I'm now going to read that guide of course )

And, to clarify some more, my Advansys will go into the (friends) machine for their tape backup, whereas I'm getting a new one for my CDRW. You also raised another little point - boot ROM! I'd like one (it annoys me with my current setup).
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

SCSI is SCSI, but I thought I'd mention that I've owned at least one ISA SCSI card that came bundled with a scanner that ONLY worked with that scanner.

John

Comment

I quote myself earlier on in the thread,
                    "SCSI is SCSI is not SCSI, (that make sense if you read this guide"

scroll up for the link.

Colin

Comment

Colin,

I was agreeing with you and giving a specific example from personal experience.

John

Comment

Pace, having no ISA slot can be a blessing. Some of the older ISA SCSI cards for scanners and such can prevent Win2000 from going into STR, if that feature is important to you.

If you got Win98 or ME it don't matter as neither support SCSI in STR anyway.
                        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                        Matrox P
                        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                        LianLiPC70

Comment

indeed

Comment

Um, HP's website took me all this time to digest, honest

So, here's what they have:

Their "Downloads and Drivers" section has Firmware, Network, NT Service, Patch, Software and TapeWare Service Pack.

So, the software section seems appropriate...it has:
                            Colorado Backup for DOS and a Diagnostic Tool.

However, they've also got a link to extra driver information, in which they have this info about Win2k:
                            <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">the backup applet or CB II v9.0 only;
                            T4: hpt4qic.sys (Available on the Windows installation CD.)
                            T20: QIC157.SYS (Available when the backup software is installed or on the Windows installation CD.)
                            Backup applet supports native capacity only; no software data compression support.
                            NOTE: Microsoft's hardware compatibility list indicates there is support for the T4000s, T4000es, T4i, and T4e tape drives; Hewlett-Packard has only tested the T20 with the backup applet.</font>
                            So, it looks like Win2k supports it natively, but with no s/w compression! Is this a big loss? I'll be going in to see these folk this week, and we'll see how well everything goes, but if we 'halve' the capacity, and expand this computer - then we'll end up needing extra disks and stuff

Oh yes, and an external link to 'Stac' and their "Replica Backup for HP SureStore Product Updates" page: http://support.stac.com/updates/RepSS/default.shtm

Note: I'll come back and edit this post - gotta run for now
                            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                            X