X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Win2K problems.

OK, I have two problems with Win2K:

1)
    I've installed a LAN with one Win2K pc and one Win95 pc. Both are connected with a UTP peer-to-peer connection @ 100Mbit/s (TCP/IP). Controlling the 95 pc from the 2K pc is no problem but the other way around is impossible. I.e. I can find the 2K's pc's network ID but I can't connect to the 2K pc. I need to enter a password but I've never defined a password on that 2K pc.

2)
    The 2K pc won't turn off. It just shows a black screen with a gray blinking cursor and it stays that way for at least 40 minutes (haven't had the patience yet to wait longer).

Has anybody here had any of those problems too? And most importantly: have you been able to solve them and how?

Thanks.
    KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Yes, your first problem sounds like you need to enable the Guest account. When Win9x tries to logon to a NT/2k machine, it tries the Guest account and tries for an account of the same name that you logon to the machine with.

If you want to keep the Guest account disabled for security purposes, then create an account on the Win2k machine that is the same name that you logon to the 9x machine with. For example, if your logon name for the 9x machine is 'Billy', then create an account named 'Billy' on the Win2k machine. Then the 9x box should be able to log on.

If the 2k machine is connected to the oustide world, I would recommend assigning passwords as well.

b
    Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Oh, OK, I'm fairly new to Win2K so I didn't know much about it.

The second problem only occured after installing a couple of programs. At first the PC closed down fine. Then I added an extra parrallel port (on a pci card). I also installed Adaptec easy CD creator but that failed to work (possibly because it's a 98 version ??). Anyway I don't know exactly when the problem started to occur but it has worked fine before. So I doubt it's a BIOS setting or driver problem. I've heard of other people having a similar problem after installing Adaptect software. Could that really be the problem? (the software has been removed after I noticed it didn't work anyway).

[This message has been edited by IcedEarth (edited 08 April 2001).]
      KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

It could be caused by drivers/services, etc. Read this MSKB article for some much more detailed information about what I'm saying.

If that link doesn't work, then go to support.microsoft.com and find KB article Q266169.

Hope that helps. And good luck with Easy Coaster Creator....

b
        Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Try enabling Guest account on Windows 2000. It is disabled by default.

Do you have all the latest drivers? Also check out BIOS settings for Power Management.

------------------
            Live long and prosper!
            Live long and prosper!

Comment

Working...
            X