Win2k and Ultra dma66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k and Ultra dma66

I can remembering reading an article that Windoze 2k by default doesn't use this and you have to download a reg hack to switch it on.
    Anyway using an Ultra dma harddisk with a standard cable (As I hadn't a udma 66 or 100 controller available) W2k would hang with a stop message.
    Later I could get my hands on the ultra 66 card and I put this in and re-installed win2k and it worked happily.
    That led me to think that win2k was trying to use the faster protocol than the hard disk was using. Any comments anyone.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

A normal Ultra DMA harddrive (they start at UDMA/33 you know) needs the normal flatcable. If you try to attach this cable to the UDMA/66 or faster drive, and it won't work, it's usually the flatcable's fault, as the drive is trying to tell it's faster than what the cable is able to do.

For UDMA/66 drives you will need to use the flatcable with at least one blue connector end. This connector goes into the controller-connector.

If this wasn't the answer you were looking for, I'll step aside and let others in

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

I, too, have heard that Win2k won't do Ultra66. Or Ultra100.

It's rubbish. My machine does Ultra66 and Ultra100 just fine.

I think that the lack of Ultra66 compatibility affected only a VERY small subset of machines. The "fix" only replaces the intelide, pciide, and atapi.sys drivers.

My controllers (Fasttrack 100 and VIA 100) use none of those files. In fact, the Fasttrack enumerates as SCSI.

And, this is the case with ALL Ultra66 and Ultra100 devices that I know of - even Intel's. In fact, I have asked repeatedly on a number of fori, and discovered not a single person whose machine actually USES those files for U66 or U100.

So I'd say it's safe to ignore.

- Gurm

P.S. There was a supposed U66 registry hack. Great idea, except it modified the registry in the Intel U33 area - hardly necessary.

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

You can get a specific patch from each hard drive manufacturer to turn the drive "down" to Ultra33.

Also, you can safely yank that pin, it doesn't do anything. It's a key pin.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Not much point when it's only a tempory problem now solved. I just expected to be able to plug in a standard cable without any probs.

[This message has been edited by The PIT (edited 06 April 2001).]
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The ultra 66 cables I've got one go into a standard controller unless I pull a pin out of the motherboard. So I used a normal cable and since the Ultra 66 is supposed to be backward compatable I expected to work but at udma 33. The bios detected the hard disk at udm 33 just that win2k had a fit.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I'm using Quantum Fireball AS ATA 100 connected to ASUS P3B-F (only support ATA33) by a standard ATA 33 and it works just fine under Win 2k. No need to use any file from Quantum to change its mode even though there is one.
              The only problem I have is that I can't attach any more drive (HD, CD-ROM) to the same cable with this Quantum drive. The second one won't be detected. So the Quantum sits there alone in the primary channel now.
              I tried the file from Quantum to change its mode to ATA 33 but no go.
              Anyone knows how to fix this because I want to add another CD-ROM to my system.
              TRung.
              MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
              AMD Athlon 64 3200
              1024 MB PC3200 RAM
              WD 160 GB HDD
              2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
              ATI 9500 64 Videocard
              Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
              Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
              Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

SuRGV

I have had a few stubborn cases like this solved by using "CS" (cable select on the drives.

------------------
                Lawrence
                Lawrence

Comment

My twin IBM DTLA drives is set to Udma66 since the time I had a I815 mobo and Intels Drivers killed my CD-RW.
                  Neither NERO nor Winoncd liked IDE cd-rw's that pretended to be SCSI drives.
                  Now im using W2k's internal.
                  no problems.
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                  X