problems with abit raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems with abit raid

I just bought an Abit SA6R mobo, and for some frustratingly strange reason the raid crashes both windows me and 2k it's running with a celeron2@566 and an IBM 75gxp 60 gig...

any help would be greatly appreciated

fredo

Yep, install winme in nonacpi mode (when running the setup instead of typing "Setup" type "Setup - p i ". Also when to install win2k using the standard pc HAL. To do this hit F5 when setup initializes to get the options.

Rags

Comment

Rags: Is this a necessity? I plan to start using the RAID on my SA6R soon, but I wouldn't want to lose ACPI

Ta, Paul.
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

If I remember correctly, the IBM DTLA have a problem with the Highpoint HPT360 controller. And if I´m not wrong that´s the controller that is located in some older Abit boards.(?)

I don´t know which controller the SA6R has. But I do know that the newer Abit boards have the HPT370 controller and they do not have an issue with the DTLA.

[This message has been edited by Novdid (edited 01 April 2001).]

Comment

The hpt drivers have known issues with ACPI, that's why I am telling you to do it this way. If you don't like having to give up "RAID" (which it really isn't), go with a Promise controller.

Rags

Comment

Highpoint claims to have fixed their ACPI problems with their later driver releases, yet many report problems getting STR to work on the Abit KT7 RAID with the HPT370 controller.

On my KT7A RAID, I dual boot from two RAID 0's (four IBM 75GXP's) and ACPI is enabled in Win98SE and Win2000. Performance is very good, while others have to disable ACPI to get any at all.

STR will work for me in Win98SE, with RAID 0, and all cards installed (except SCSI of course).

In Win2000, it will go into STR, but won't come back out. That was with only a video card installed too. Even tried it with the Highpoint disabled using one drive on IDE 1, same deal.

One day I'll put the Promise RAID card back in and test it with that.

------------------
            ABIT KT7A, Two RAID 0's * 900MHz Athlon T'bird, 133/33 @ 7.5 for 1000 * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Win2000SP1/Win98SE * The Rest

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 02 April 2001).]
            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
            Matrox P
            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
            LianLiPC70

Comment

thanks for the help, i guess i'll have to try that stuff once i get a replacement board, cuz i accidentally fried the bios (oops) and i'm not necessarily to actually use the raid feature but i do need the extra ide channels

fredo

Comment

So, um, how good is the HPT effort at RAID then? I've got a 30GB at the moment, and planned to get either another 30GB, or twin 45GB's. But, if it's sh*t, I won't bother

P.
                Meet Jasmine.
                flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Mine works great!
                  chuck

NB I am on Win98 SE

------------------
                  ABit BE6-2 V2, P3-650@923, 256mb@142cas3, 90gig (2x45) IBM 75GXP striped raid array, SB Live Value@3.0, Pioneer 104s DVD, Mitsumi CDRW@2x2x8, Acatel 1000 ADSL@1.5mb/sec, Linksys EtherFast NIC, LG 995e, USB mouse,Matrox G400 MAX!!!!

[This message has been edited by cjolley (edited 02 April 2001).]
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Rags - out of curiosity, what do i lose when running win2k inthe standard pc hal?

Comment

Hibernation and STR.

Rags

Comment

one, last question...

what exactly is STR?

thanks

Comment

suspend to ram

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Pace, the Highpoint has worked well for me.

Performance wise the Promise FastTrak100 isn't any better, as I have one and installed it on my KT7A and tried it. But the Promise has allowed some to get RAID working on their KT7/KT7A RAID boards when the Highpoint wouldn't....either due to hardware conflicts or configuration, poor quality control, I don't really know.

It would also depend on what you do with your PC so you could justify RAID or just because you want it. Since I moved I don't use my PC like I used to, mostly PhotoShop and web page stuff. But Photoshop sure loads a bunch faster now. So I mostly wanted it to see if I could get it to work, a challenge so to speak as I don't do much else anymore.

------------------
                            ABIT KT7A, Two RAID 0's * 900MHz Athlon T'bird, 133/33 @ 7.5 for 1000 * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Win2000SP1/Win98SE * The Rest

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 03 April 2001).]
                            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                            Matrox P
                            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                            LianLiPC70

Comment

by the way what is the exact syntax on the the winME install to disable the ACPI, so i can do it right...

Comment

Working...
                              X