EPoX 8KTA3 RAID Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPoX 8KTA3 RAID Question

Two months ago I bought the EPoX 8KTA3 motherboard. It is excellent and hasn't given me much problems, none that I couldn't fix quickly anyway... I later found out that they have another version of my motherboard with two more IDE ports that are for RAID or whatever, which allows for use of 4 more drives if you use the ports as normal IDE or something... I guess I goofed up when I bought the motherboard, because I would have loved to have 8 drive capability. Now I am considering buying a PCI card or something, that lets me get this ability for 4 more drives... can this be done? Or do I have to use RAID 0 if I buy a PCI RAID Controller? I have the free drive bays on my tower for 4 more drives, and I would love to have 3 more HDDs and a DVDROM Drive. Is this type of PCI card recommended or should I just build a second PC with an 8KTA3+ motherboard, which has the onboard RAID ports? I want all of this space because I plan to get real serious about Video Production and Editing.
    <b>irc.foozone.net</b> port <b>6667 #Anime</b>

Two ways you can go, TIbrO.

You can get a RAID card like the Promise FastTrak100 for about $89 and not use the RAID, or for about $38 get the Promise Ultra100 controller card that has no RAID. Either of these would allow for 4 additional IDE devices.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 04 April 2001).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

and or modify the Promise Ultra100 controller (cheap and ultra easy) and turn it into their Fastrack raid controller!
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

in win2k software RAIDing on the ulta100 controller would probably have the same performance as a the fastrak anyway(no point voiding your warantee)
        ..or am I missing somthing?

Comment

Hell, you can buy a Ultra100 controller for $25 on eBay...screw the warranty! My hacked Ultra100 card running Raid-0 works flawlessy...

Comment

Yeah, that primise Ultra100 control is pretty good, especially with the quick hack to make it a RAID controler

Comment

Working...
            X