WOL help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WOL help needed

I just installed a D-Link 530TX+ that has WOL (wake on Lan) in an ASUS P3V4X mobo with Win98SE installed.

The reason for this was the WOL feature.

Now, I want to be able to wake this machine up from the network, so I can use its IDE Zip drive using a DOS batch file.

The Network is configured properly. I have full access, and everything is fine as ling as the computer is awake.

If I put the computer on standby and try to access it from another computer on the LAN I cant get in.

I have the cable connected, and WOL enabled in BIOS. The power supply can do 1A on 5V+ standby, and the ASUS manual says it only needs 720mA so that should be fine.

Im wondering if I need to send a 'wakeup packet' or something to get the computer off standby. I cant find any info on this at Microsoft.com, and their knowledge base is down at the moment.

They do have mention of some programs called waker/dozer that is used for testing WOL features, but I cant find a link to download them anywhere.

Ive searched Google, and nothing good came up, searched dlink.com, and asus.com (their search is broken).

Ive tried the NET USE command, but no luck there.

Does anybody know whats wrong here?

Any and all help appreciated.

Ali

I think it can only be woken up by sending a 'wake up' packet... I've seen a very small util on our campus network performing this action... I'll try to get hold of it

Comment

Thanks. Ive been through tucows and winfiles and couldnt find anything.

Turns out MS knowledge base wasnt down, it didnt like my add banner blocker. opps.

Didnt help much either.

Ali

Comment

Up.

Anybody?

Comment

I can't find the utility on our network... but if you can find someone who can program a bit in C, then it shouldn't take much time to write such a program:

Look here for details
          http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...i-howto-2.html

Comment

For those of you who read German, maybe, maybe these folks have what you want....

www.spettel.de

b
            Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

I found it!

Pearl script here:
              http://www.securiteam.com/securityne...p_on_Lan_.html

Another script here:
              http://cwashington.netreach.net/scri...Type=scriptlet

A good site here with a link at the bottom the AMD who have some WOL utils (but need to be compiled in C/C++ to use the DOs one:
              http://www.annoyances.org/cgi-bin/ce-showtopic/007_001

And exactly what I was looking for:
              http://pages.prodigy.net/tusta2/

Thanks everybody for the help, its working perfectly now.

Ali

Comment

OK, this is getting silly.

I had it working, but turns out it will only work the first 3 to 5 times after a reboot.

Ive also installed Intel LanDesk 6 so I have another way of testing it.

Ive replaced the NIC, flashed the mobo BIOS to the latest version, put in another known good power supply, formated and reinstalled Win98SE with no other applications except standard windows install.

Still everytime the same. Works fine with either that DOS program linked above, or Landesk from inside windows for the first 3 to 5 times. Then it will refuse to work until I do a reboot.

This is getting rather important, as twice now the daily backups have failed to work.

Does anybody have any ideas? Ive spent hours and hours on this, and Im starting to look incompetent, which I dont like.

Ali

Comment

My experience with WOL and WOR has been less than stellar. In doing some WHQL testing, the WOL and WOR tests were rather flaky. They would sporadically work or not work. Some of the problems were related to some drivers, others were, well, problems.

Is everything in your system fully ACPI compliant? All your hardware and drivers? Do you have SCSI? Had lots of problems with ACPI and SCSI....Are WOL and WOR even part of ACPI?

I know it doesn't help you a whole butt load, but it's all I've got for ya.

b
                  Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

OK, hardware specs.

Asus P3V4X - latest bios
                    D-Link 530TX+ - ACPI drivers installed
                    G400 16Mb SH - Latest drivers
                    Some 8Gb hard drive - dont know what type
                    Some 40X CD_ROM, dont know what type
                    Some floppy drive, dont know what kind
                    no sound card
                    New 300W P/S with 1A +5V standby.
                    P3 450
                    128MB Legend ECC Ram

Software:
                    Win98SE with all updates from MS Update
                    DX 8
                    P'desk 6.50
                    VIA 4.28a 4 in 1 drivers
                    IE 5.5
                    MS Office 97
                    Network has TCP/IP and NetBUI installed
                    Manually assigned IP address
                    Nothing else installed on clean format and reinstal.

Ali

Comment

i don't know if this will help...but did you try going into the property sheets of the network card > advanced tab...and setting the "Wake on Magic Packet" to enabled?

cc

Comment

Opps, no I hadnt.

Just checked it and it was already set to enabled.

I changed WOL type from 'pulse' to 'button', and now it doesnt work at all.

Gee, I was sure you had it then. Anybody else? It almost has to be something simple that Im overlooking.

Ive never played with WOL before, and I must say its a bit if a shit.

Ali

Comment

is there a bios setting for this? in the power management section...match the irq resource of the network card with the wake event...

short of verifying the physical connections(ie..wol header connector and cable), i'm fresh out of ideas.

i know it may sound silly...but try toggleing the software setting, rebooting in between.

good luck

cc

[This message has been edited by Chucky Cheese (edited 15 March 2001).]

Comment

It does seem awkward that it will work a few times and then quit. Not to mention that it occurs reliably.

I am also at a loss of ideas. Short of trying different drivers/hardware I couldn't say what to do.

Again, my experience with it seemed to show that it is very flaky. So I would suggest that your mileage may vary. That sucks dude.

Good luck.

b

Comment

WEll, as an update. Yes it was enabled in BIOS, and Ive given up.

This NIC was NZ$80. Ive ordered a 3com NIc for NZ$180. It should be here next week, and Ill see how that goes.

The place I buy my hardware from said if the 3com works, they will refund me for the D-link.

Probably should have forked out for the 3com to start with, but Ive never had any trouble with D-link gear before.

Ill get back to you guys on Monday to say how it went.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X