Unable to Get NetBSD to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to Get NetBSD to Work

Hopefully this is a simple software configuration thing.

I have installed NetBSD on a Compaq 6000, PPro 180 MHz computer. SCSI HD, Built-in NIC (disabled in BIOS), two 3COM 3C905B-TX NICs, sound card (also hopefully disabled in BIOS), and Matrox Millenium video.

I had Win95 previously installed on the computer and it detected both NICs and I had successfully loaded drivers for both. During installation of NetBSD, both NICs were detected. After download to the HD and reboot, only one NIC is operating. The other has no lights on. Cannot connect from computer to NetBSD router, no ping nothing. The router can access internet with no trouble. Switched NICs between their PCI slots. Only the NIC in the inboard slot would light up in either configuration (both NICs are good).

Placed the SCSI card in the slot that wouldn't work for the NIC and the SCSI card operated fine in the slot that wouldn't support a NIC. Again, only the originally working slot with the NIC in it will work. The NIC in the SCSI card's old slot appeared dead, no lights.

Any idea what might be preventing the second NIC from operating? This is probably the only hang-up to a successful installation.

Another question is: How do I indicate to NetBSD which ports to forward to a computer? I plan on placing a game server behind the router and need to forward a number of ports to the games server.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't know about NetBSD, but the most recent OpenBSD release has a bug in pcibois device driver (that wasn't in the install, BTW).

I had the pleasure of experiencing (not) on an older (but non-the-less) Compaq Prosignia 300 Pentium 90.

Since Net/Open BSD are closely related, might I suggest to search to find a message list archive and see if you can isolate your problem (unless someone else has an idea).

As always, good luck,

PeterV
    ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Thanks for the hints Peter. I've found one of the CAT5 cables is intermittent. Replacing it tonight. Hope for the best.

Comment

This post really should go in Alt. Lifestyles. Also, try to flag Shane's attention if you get stuck, he's the only BSD user I can think of at the moment.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No, replacing the bad connection didn't solve the problem. Hope others have some ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X