Portable MP3 players....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable MP3 players....

Anyone have a suggestions for getting one of these?

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,ATI Radeon AIW,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I have a porteble MP3 player for my Ericsson mobile phone! A good soluting (MP3 player combined with a HandsFree)

I use a 64Mb MMC in the player!

A friend of mine have a Creative Nomad II player, he says its a good player, and the Creative DAP is also good!

------------------
    - [GDI]Raptor

Comment

A friend of mine has an el cheapo MP3 player that uses CDs rather than memory. He likes it, and he especially likes that he can carry mucho music with him at once. I can get you more details if you'd like....

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

We have a Kenwood Z919 CD/MP3/AM/FM radio in our Dodge RAM. VERY nice.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/new/mp3news.htm

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I bought an el cheapo one - It was a CD based mp3 player. The advantage of CD is that you can store up to 650Mb, which is far superior to the 64Mb 'memory stick' versions, albeit the access times are slower. I would strongly suggest a 'try before you buy' as I noticed huge differences between players.

The Phillips (I think) Expanium is supposed to be quite good and cheap at ~£120. If you go for CD based - make sure it can read CDRW's! Get yourself down to a big electronics store and try em all out - and then go and buy it online cheaper.
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I forgot to tell you why my player was crappy. It span the CD only when it need to fill up the playback buffer. This meant that the CD would spin for 5-10secs and then stop for 20secs. This meant that the CD had to start spinning again before the buffer was empty or the track would skip, which it invariably did - even when completely static.

Sony are bringing out a CD based mp3 player, but I doubt it would be cheap! Still - its probably going to be cheaper than their stick version which is priced ~£250 here....

Hope it helps!
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Here's the info from the guy who has one of the cd players.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
              generic cheapo 'classic' brand off the shelf from circuit city (think it's very similar to the memorex you can buy at target and compusa (only places i've seen them so far))

CDRW compatible, only spec.ed to 128kbs, but 196 appears to work. folder navigation a bitch, no random within folder (whole disc or nothing) occasional 'skip' for NO reason at all

(about the skip) just a 1 sec pause every 30 min or so
              </font>
              b
              Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

from what i heard the iomega hip zip is the best one, at least among the ones that dont have a hard drive installed. it has good sound, fast downloads rates and cheap disks.
                the creative juke-box has 6 gigs i think, but it is bid. on the cebit they announced something thats way smaller than the creative one but still has a lot of memory, dont know the company name any more though.

Comment

There was a thread about the very same topic in the Soap Box sometime ago (here: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001335.html )

I have the Expanium and overall it does it's job quite good, but it has a few quirks. If you want a more detailed description, look at my post in the SoapBox thread.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Sony making an MP3 player? I'll believe it when I see it. They are very anti-MP3 (Sony Music makes tons of money, mp3's are viewed as counter-productive). However, my friends and I have been talking about MP3 solutions a bit lately, and I'm eyeing the Rio Volt at www.sonicblue.com. www.outpost.com seems to have a decent price.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ummm errr, Yes Sony are making MP3 players, actually I've been eyeing off one that resembles a very fat pen, I think they have three or four on the market here.

Dan
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

No, the "music clip" line does not play MP3's. They play ATRAC, the same family of compression found on MiniDiscs. You actually have to convert MP3's to ATRAC (using Sony's software) to load them onto the device. Why? Because ATRAC is SDMI-compliant.

It may seem like I'm playing off a technicality, but it's an important difference to me.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

And some more info from a different friend:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
                          OK, I have a Memorex MP3 player. I like the fact you can put a whole CD in there, but the menu system sucks. I would advise against it. Tell them to go with that new Rio player that is around $150 and has a good menu system. With so many files on a CD, it can be impossible to find or figure out what the hell is on a CD.
                          </font>
                          As always, hope this helps....

b

Comment

I ordered one of those Rio Volts, and I got it today. It's just awesome. I updated the firmware right away, and got all the nice stuff working. It does VBR, directory structures, all sorts of good stuff. I recommend it.

The closest thing I have to a complaint is that the little remote feels like it might not last more than a few months. The headphones it came with are decent, but not amazing.

A great $150

Comment

Working...
                            X