Mmm persuading win2k to boot with onboard controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mmm persuading win2k to boot with onboard controller

I thought this would happen. Just upgraded to Abit KT7a Raid and I would like to use the onboard controller. However win2k has other ideas.
    At present the system is using a promise Ultra 66 controller as before. Swapping onto the High Point just results in error message saying that it cannot find the operating system in so many words.
    The system is a dual boot with windoze 98 on the first hard disk and win2k on the second harddisk (Slave same channel).
    I made sure that the harddisks are connected the first channel (ide0) as they're are on the Promise controller.
    The boot.ini file is as follows.

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Now am I missing something here???
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Is the Highpoint driver installed, if not boot using the Promise controller, install the Highpoint driver shutdown, switch cable to the on-board RAID and boot up.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

It's installed I've got a horrible feeling I've to hack the registry to sort this out.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Is the error your getting something like 'Inaccessable Boot Device'?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I didn't see any details on how you setup your RAID 0 or 1. Or how you moved the partition (DriveCopy or something simular). I supposed you could move the old drive directly to the RAID controller with only one modification if your intent is to do RAID 1 and add an additional disk as the mirror. Then I believe your problem is the boot.ini. My W2K is on an IWIL KK266-R with the RAID array as my FIRST boot device (not including floppy). The boot.ini is:
          [boot loader]
          timeout=30
          default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
          [operating systems]
          multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

The rdisk(0) is because it is the first disk that ntldr sees. Or some such smoke and mirrors.

Oh make sure the partition is marked active.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by HomeBrewer (edited 03 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by HomeBrewer (edited 03 April 2001).]
          Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

hmmmm, that sounds like the same error i was getting with my sa6r, it has the same RAID controller...

STUPID THINGY!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've also seen the same error when I transferred a hard disk from a bx motherboard to an 815 motherboard. Plus the same occured when someone installed a zip drive on a NT4 installation. I'll slap the highpoint back on this evening and post the error message from another machine.
              I need to solve this as the old motherboard is going into another machine with w2k and I'm hoping to transfer the promise controller. I can see the same problem occuring again.
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This is the error message

Win2000 could not start because of a Computer disk hardware configuration problem.
                Could not start from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Plug it back into the promise and it starts fine
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Cracked it stupid settings in the Bios. For reason the 2nd harddisk wasn't been detected automatcially until I first turned off auto and then re-enabled it.
                  I got this from Windows 98 which said there was only one disk installed.
                  Doh. Lessons from this. Although you seen the same message before on different machines the cause isn't always the same. Look for the obivous.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                  X