Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC133 RAM at 66MHz ?

Hi,
    I've just bought 128 MB of PC133 SDRAM, which I was hoping to use on my Celeron 500@66 / LX system, and then move it to a faster system when I can upgrade my motherboard.

I know it's not good to mix RAM, ( so I'm not :-) but I thought I'd read that it would simply run at 66MHz, however I'm having problems with the system - Windows loads OK, but Open GL games are refusing to run, and it's locked up in Windows a few times. Is this because I need to adjust some BIOS settings, have a bad stick of RAM, or am I just using the RAM too far out of spec ? If the later, is it worth trying some PC100 memory, or should I just go back to using the 66MHz stuff ?

Thanks for any help,

Ian

it can be anything but the stick running 'too far out of spec', as 66Mhz is only half as fast as what PC133 is rated for... PC133 only means it will run properly on all frequencies up to 133Mhz

Comment

Early revisions of motherboards based on the LX chipset could be fairly problematic. Power problems. AGP problems. More AGP problems related to the power problems.

Possibly your motherboard is just fussy. Is your computer a Dell by any chance? They were really fussy about RAM.

Paul
      paulcs@speakeasy.net

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys, the latest news is that resetting the BIOS settings to their defaults has given me stable performance using the PC133 RAM, despite an FSB of 66MHz. I've even added the old 66MHz back in again ( but in the _second slot, not the first, ho-hum ) and so far no problems. So, now I have to run a few tests to see how the performance compares. Having 256 MB is a good start, anyhow...

Paul, what is an "early" LX revision ? The board is an Epox 61LXA-M. The machine is a MESH, btw, but there _is a lot running on it now - G400, SBLive, SCSI card & HD, ROM & CDR... time for a new PSU, I think ! But, as I say, at the moment it's happy.

Comment

Working...
        X