Voodoo 2 /Voodoo3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo 2 /Voodoo3

Silly question, but does anyone know the difference between a Voodoo 2 and a Voodoo3 (if such a card exists).

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

The Voodoo3 is the successor to the Voodoo2.

The Voodoo2 is an addon 3D card (for a PCI slot) which, in turn, was the successor to the Voodoo1.

Voodoo1: 4Mb, PCI, 3D Only.
    Voodoo2: 8/12Mb, PCI, 3D Only - 180MTexels?
    Voodoo3: 16Mb, AGP/PCI, 2D and 3D, 286-366MTexels

The Voodoo2 also had the additional property of being able to link up 2 identical cards in SLI mode (scan-line interleave), where each card would render an alternate line on screen, giving upto 2x the performance.

Additionally, the Voodoo3 has been superseded by the Voodoo4 and 5 series, but then you're not asking about them

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Thanks Pace
      One of the chaps in work has a *voodoo* card but thinks it is a voodoo 3. Unfortunately he has a passthrough connector on the back which leads me to believe that it is a voodoo 2.

regards MD
      Interests include:
      Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Ok MD

Though that card could also be a V1

Or maybe he's confusing a pass-thru with a TV-out or something similar

P.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Just a note...
          there was also a 6MB Voodoo 1....
          Canopus Pure3D...I still have mine

------------------
          Matrox G400MAX
          PIII 616
          Asus P2B-L
          128MB
          Quantum Fireball KX 27.3
          ADI G66
          Sound Blaster Live!
          Motorola CyberSURFR
          Pioneer DVD-103S

Comment

Was'nt there a board that had 2 voodoo2 boards fused togheter?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Technoid. In answer to your question Yes but I can't remember who made it.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

it was the 3Dfx spin-off that made the board, called Quantum3D

Comment

Yeah the fused board was made by Obsidian they made it so you didn't need to use two PCI Slots to have a SLI Setup

------------------
                  Hang Low and Limber
                  AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

wasn't Obsidian the actual product name of it, and made by Quantum3D?

I thought it was called Quantum3D Obsidian X-24 or something like that

Comment

Yes that's correct dZ
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

And at the time of it's release that SLI setup would set you back about $500.00 to $700.00.

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I remember buying a Voodoo-2 8MB (a Diamond Monster 3D-II) the first day it was available through wholesale here in Holland.. it costed something like 250 US dollars... a lot of money for a 16-year-old-still-in-school kid

Though it was a great card for it's time, and was worth every single penny imho... all games from that period (and far after) ran superb on it

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 31 March 2001).]

Comment

Good call DZ

My brain is kinda spongey and it hurts trying to squeeze all the information out of it.. LOL

Excuse my Poop Post.

------------------
                            Hang Low and Limber
                            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

6Mb Voodoo 1? I'm guessing you mean the Voodoo Rush - there wasn't (as I recall) a 6Mb V1.

Please correct me if I'm wrong people

Incidentally, there was also a 16Mb 'Voodoo2' then A 2D/3D (like the Rush) Banshee, which had only a single texturing unit (as opposed to the V2's 2) and was just over half the speed of a V2. My G200 still beat it though

P.
                              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                              X