External cache problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External cache problem

After booting through the bios, my system freezes. I managed to derive the problem to an external cache problem. When I disable the ex.cache in the bios, my system works normal. Does somebody nows what's going on, is the problem, my mainbord ( ct-5AGM2, via vmp3 chipset ) or is it something else?

k6 III 400@450, Chaintech 5AGM2, Matrox G400 DH 32mb, SB Live value, Prim. HD 30.2Gb Maxtor,Sec. HD 10.1 Gb Quantum, 40X LiteOn, Philips 3610

Um...have you got the manual? I'm sure there's a setting which separates the Cyrix's from the AMDs

The Cyrix needs a special cache option, which your K6-2 wont like - find it out and change it back to whatever the AMD wants.

(maybe someone can offer a clearer answer than me).

It could be in the FAQs - run a search in there (I'm guessing that you haven't )

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

The bigger problem might be that he's running a K6III, and therefore his board's L2 becomes an L3. I'd go over to www.amdzone.com, and check their K6 forums.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

RD, what do you have your L2 MB cache set to... ie write through or write back? Write through tho slower, is a safer setting so I'd give that a try.

What speed L2 cache do they supply? Are the pins free of all debris?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X