Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency! Win 98 install help.

Iyeeeee!
    I lost part of my Win Directory. (Its a long story)
    I went to do a Win 98 update to get it back (the registry is still there) but got the "no upgradabel products" message.
    What is it looking for?
    I could have answered for Win95 but, this has never come up in 98 befor.
    TIA
    chuck
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Your trying to use a Win98 upgrade CD and since your OS is corrupted you must allow it to look for a qualifying product (OS) to get any further.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It looks for certain directorys to allow it to qualify for a upgrade. Since you're missing part of the \windows directorys that's probably the problem. Once you get to the detection point, put a Win95 CD into the drive, once setup notices it you can remove that CD and setup will continue.
      Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

Copy the setup files from the CD to your harddrive in a folder (I call mine win98), and run the setup from there. When it prompts you to show it a qualifying product, put the win98 cd in the cdrom.

Rags

Comment

Thanks Guys!
          I got it to work.
          Rags, I love your solution!
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

So I take it that it worked as planned?

Rags

Comment

Well, that remains to be seen.....
              @#$%^&*@ Oracle client software.
              chuck

PS Those of you who think poory of MS should have to deal with Oracle for a while.
              You have no idea how bad it could be!
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X