My First Virus, a VBS/Netlog.worm.a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Virus, a VBS/Netlog.worm.a

The wife's laptop has been dog slow sending files over our home network last couple of weeks. Would receive OK. She has been at some tree/landscape sites lately, and was printing a file today when McAfee pops up with the bug-grasp window and reports the VBS/Netlog.worm.a virus.

Now that the network.vbs file is deleted off the C drive, it sends as fast as it receives.

When the virus was active, as it sent files the utilization lights on the hub would go on and off, like it was sending small individual packets. Now it stays steady when it sends a large file. What took minutes to transfer now takes seconds.

When I read the description of the virus, I became lost in the translation. Says it deletes the network.log file, writes log file open, subnets...random numbers..scans addresses...I am confused.

What has this virus got to do with slowing down the laptop "send" on my little old home network?

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 31 March 2001).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

And why did you leave it connected without first making sure the virus was completely off the system?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by High_Jumbllama:
      And why did you leave it connected without first making sure the virus was completely off the system?</font>
      1) The virus was just discovered today, though McAfee is on all the time. The alert occured as she went to print a document off a web site.

2) I did not correlate the slowdown of the network transmit from the laptop with a virus. We recently moved into a new house that I whole-house networked and I finally got around to moving the hub to the basement and suspected a wiring problem.

3) The virus did not spread to the other two computers on the network, and was successfully deleted from the laptop immediately after it was discovered.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
      X