hmmm... which order....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmmm... which order....

I am about to shove SE on for a dual boot but I hear that by using the 'correct' install sequance that you can avoid many problems/conflicts

eg.
    Win98, then VIA drivers, then G400, then Live! etc...

Is there a preferred sequence that I should follow?

Thanks in advance!

System specs to follow:

------------------
    I am running Win2K Pro: SP1 on the following:
    • T'bird 1GHz on an Asus A7V
    • Coolermaster Copper Heat Pipe
    • 256 Mb PC100 RAM
    • IBM DJNA-372200 21Gb UDMA 66 Drive
    • 2 x IBM DNES-309170W SCSI Disk Drives
    • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A
    • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
    • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
    • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
    • SB Live! 5.1
    • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
    • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
    • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
    • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
    • Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 speakers
    • Compaq 151 FS - on its way out
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Usualy I do os-sp1-4in1-vbrun-Graphics-Sound-dx-other(nic,modem etc)!

EDIT Forgot sp1
    ------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 30 March 2001).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Cheers man, thats exactly what i do...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

here's the suggested order:
        Install Windows
        Install latest VIA 4in1 service pack
        Install latest VIA USB filter driver
        Install latest DirectX and latest patches
        Install latest video drivers
        Install latest sound card drivers
        Install other latest drivers, e.g. joystick, graphics tablet, etc
        Install applications

Comment

Cheers Ayoub (your posts are clocking up quickly!) though I thought that the USB patch was for Win95 only?

Comment

For maximum stability it's well known that you have to start with a bloat free OS - namely DOS. Once that's installed, you can start upgrading - DOS, Win3.1, Win95, Win98, Win98SE.

For each OS in turn, you should install (in this order): (items where applicable to OS)

Programs (coz that's the most important thing, duh!)
            VIA 4in1
            DirectX 8 (then use hack to uninstall)
            DirectX 7 (then use hack to uninstall)
            VIA 4in1
            DirectX 6 (then use hack to uninstall)
            DirectX 5
            VIA 4in1
            Beta (these are what Microsoft use internally - they must be the best!) drivers of everything
            VIA 4in1
            Windows service packs
            VIA 4in1
            VIA 4in1
            Then, uninstall everything to clear the registry, while preparing nicely for next OS.

(At this point, you could also fire 'File Manager' and delete all those empty files (the ones that have no logo or the 'windows' logo))
            Then install the next OS.

If you can, try and find different VIA 4in1's - take the biggest file (and hence the best one) and make copies of it over the other small files, renaming it as necessary.

Once you have finished all OSes, remember to do the empty file deletion. These are often 'application extensions' - which are not required for normal usage. You can safely delete these.

Then, the final performance tweaks can be done in 'regedit'. Simply click and delete everything you don't recognise - it's just some litter left during a windows install.

And, the ever useful security precaution! System backup Put a bootable (but otherwise blank) floppy disk in the drive and reboot. When prompted, type 'format c:'

Congrats, you now have the most bug free OS known to Bill himself

And it's now time for Jord to stick this in the FAQs...

P.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace, that is the most godawfully stupid thing I've ever read, I HOPE you were being funny.

My advice:

1. Win2k SP1 (I built a cd for this purpose, hehe!)
              2. Matrox Drivers
              3. Service Pack 2 (I know, it's not final... but it fixes a LOT of stuff...)
              4. Office XP (not released? hmm... it will be soon)
              5. All the patches at "windows update"
              6. Via's 4-in-1 4.29a
              7. Drivers and whatnot

I don't recommend installing Live!ware at all, since IMHO you should just get the Hercules card (it's what I'm doing this week)!

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, I think Paddy wants opinions on install order for win98se not win2k!

Comment

ayoub_ibrahim has pretty much got it. Only thing I do different is load the G400 drivers right after the VIA's cause I like a nice display ASAP in Win98 or Win2000.

Especially in Win2000 though....gotta get rid of that awful refresh rate.

------------------
                  ABIT KT7A, Two RAID 0's * 900MHz Athlon T'bird, 133/33 @ 7.5 for 1000 * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Win2000SP1/Win98SE * The Rest

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 30 March 2001).]
                  MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

er.... thanks Pace?

Gurm: Cheers man, but as Ayoub said, I am putting 98se on as a dual boot.

I have never had any major problems changing OS's and when Win2K first came out (and I had too much time on my hands) I did it every other week...

I prefer 2K hands down over 98 but all I seem to be using lately is Office and playing games...

I don't know....I need to install something as this installation is falling apart...I just don't think that I could go back to 98...argh

Still I don't want to do anything until my dissertation is complete and printed off. There is no point in tempting fate is there!

now where did i put that Red Hat...

Comment

Pace, you're getting close to a clean system but you forgot to do a low level format of your boot drive to wipe that nasty bootstrap. You may optionally want to yank all the BIOS chips to get that fresh scrubbed hardware feeling. Now that's clean!
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Funny you should mention that xortam, as I was just reading on the Register (or was it Tom's HW?) about a new cleaning agent has been found in Cola again! All you have to do is mix it with something acidic (such as vinegar), and you'll put a brilliant shine on every piece of hardware you own. Hydrochloric acid is entirely optional.

And of course, that power supply can be problematic - there's a whole lot of electricity in there, so get at it with a screwdriver and some of that cleaning agent! If you let the school bully do it all the better for you (as it's a little dangerous).

Another option is leaving the power on whilst doing this (it helps the 'burn-in' period go faster).

Kiddies: Don't try this at home - you'll fry the balls of anything in the near vicinity, including your PC, and most of the flammable stuff around it. Oh yea, and you'll get the biggest shock of your life, knocking unconcious and all the way to Pokemon heaven. Nice knowing you
                        Meet Jasmine.
                        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                        X