1 - Parallel into USB does go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 - Parallel into USB does go?

Ok, here's problem number 1 (or 2 if you've read the other thread first )

So, I have a machine that needs 2 printers attached - I previously have had a printer switch, and a ISA card for this, but, I'm all out of switches and this is an ISA free system

Even then, I thought that using USB might be a better option anyway (though we'll not benefit from the speed gains).

Is there a question? Oh yes Does anyone here use a printer via a USB to Parallel adaptor? How does it work? Do you think it will work ok with either an Epson LQ-1170 or a LaserJet 4L?

And, dare I ask this...will it work with WordPerfect 6?

System is: Celeron 667, 128Mb, 20Gb, i815 mATX board and Win2k. There is 1 PCI slot free.

TIA, P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

if you've got a home network, a nice option is a print server, but they can be expensive, I paid 20 quid for mine, but it sits on the network quite happily, and Cat5 cable is a lot easier to buy long lengths of than printer cables.

in answer to your question, yes you can get parallel -> usb adapters, which IIRC run on the same principle, dunno if its likely to work with your printer, you could always get an external switch, what's wrong with the on board parallel port?
    You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Either use a USB->Parallel, or go to your local PC store and get a PCI parallel card for roughly the same money.

The PCI parallel card is MORE likely to work, but takes up a slot. Ah, decisions decisions.

The USB->Parallel adapters aren't half bad though, unless the printer manufacturer is doing something "weird" with the port... which they often do unfortunately.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

how about a network, and sticking each printer onto a seperate machine, you'll have to educate people how to select the printer, but....

besides a p75 is more than happy to run a print server.
        You wanna piece of me? here, *crunch*, o.k. not _that_ bit.

Comment

Although many printers will work, many will not work with a USB to printer adapter. You might want to borrow one from somebody first if you can just to try it out first.

Comment

The HP 4L is more likely to work with a USB->Parallel converter as Epsons usually do odd things with the port (like rename it to 'Epson Printer Port' Grrrrrr!)

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Well I've not been able to find a PCI parallel card locally, hence the USB decision

Well, I think I'll go find a local store which offers a nice returns policy

I hope that the old Epson's don't have the 'My LPT!' feature, as it annoys me on the new ones!

P.
              Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Well, I could run a network (as this machine is upgrading a Compaq P75ish), but the old machine is on it's last legs

Print switch requires attentive users

Nothing wrong with the OB port, just that there's only one of them!
                Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Working...
                X