HP Printer users? Help please.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Printer users? Help please.....

I have HP 952C (no manual) installed and running seemingly fine using SPP, but in the MB bios I have options for parallel port modes: ECP,EPP,ECP+EPP or SPP???

Then, if ECP use DMA channel 1 or 3, and finally, if EPP selected, use either EPP1.7 or EPP1.9

Am I crippling my printer? I can't seem to find out what these settings actually do.

Thanks

------------------
    P3 650@761 on ABIT BE6 r2, 256M RAM, G400 32m DH oem, 6.10 drivers, Voodoo II in SLI, Aureal SQ2500, 30G Maxtor DMax 7200 ATA 66, 300W PS
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

E stands for Enhanced in both of those terms I think, can't remember which is better! Probably choose ECP+EPP

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

i'd say use EPP (enhanced parallel port iirc), since it's faster than normal and doesn't need an irq.. don't know if your printer (any printer, for that matter) is so fast as to reach the limit of the parallel port...

ECP was erm... uh... enhanced communication port? (just guessing here)

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

ECP actually stands for Enhanced Capability Port, the idea being it will support things other than printers like external CD-ROM's, Backup Units etc. If your using EPP or ECP you need to make sure the cable is an EPP/ECP cable, these use more of the pins than a conventional parallel cable. Modern printers usually require at least EPP so they can send information back to the PC for status messages, catridge usage etc.
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Ah yea, Bi-Directional

And the cable needs to be IEEE-1284 compliant I believe.

But I'm in a diz over my G800 So ask me again tomorrow when I'm straightened out

P.
          Meet Jasmine.
          flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Oceaneer,

Try USB for a change

------------------
            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.
            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Whatever you do dont use "EPP+ECP" mode.
              I havent found one Mainboard that actualy does that right.
              Scanners Usualy loves EPP and HP printers seems to be fastest in ECP.
              I'm amazed that It wants to work in SPP mode.
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

alessandro, you da man..,USB it is. Why torture myself further?
                P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

Use ECP, as it allows DMA transfers. EPP allows bi-directional signals, which is good for devices where tranfers switch directions often (such as Hard drives). But printers and scanners ar predominantly one way, so you'd benifit more from DMA from ECP.

Don't bother putting it to ECP+EPP, as it doesn't alwaz choose the best option. If you know whats best (in the case of the printer, ECP), manually choose the option. Not many devices want the LP1 IRQ anywaz, so the loss isn't that bad.
                  P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Comment

I second the usb recomendation. usb is faster than paralel port, and it only uses 1 IRQ to all usb devices.

And on the usb Hp 9xx, the printer will automatically turn on if you send a job to print. Very useful.

Comment

Hmm. I have a 952C also using USB (so I agree there). But I didn't know that it'd auto power-up if a print job is sent.

Now I've gotta hurry home from work just to try out that gimmick, lol!
                      "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                      Gainward Ti4600
                      AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Yes it does At least my HP 930C does it, but I think every HP usb printer does that trick.

No more print errors, just because you forgot to turn on the printer...

Comment

You mean you need USB to have that option on HP printers.. LOL

My 3 and a half year old canon Bubblejet 4300 has an option in its drivers to do that just with the LPT Port. (... and it also does auto shut off at any time interval you specify...

At least my canon doesn't have that guys voice that talks when you start and end or screw up a print job on my friends lexmark.. I am only there for a bit and it drives me nuts...

(Electronic Males Voice "Printing Started....... -print-print-print-..... Printing complete...)

I can hear it still echoing in my head

------------------
                          Hang Low and Limber

[This message has been edited by cbman (edited 30 March 2001).]
                          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Hey, I have one of those lexmarks, the first thing I did was disable the sounds in the drivers.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                            X