Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netgear router problem...

Hi Guys,

Has anyone got any bright ideas on a problem I seem to be having with my Cable Modem set up at home.

I have the cable modem going into a Netgear RT311 router which then goes to my hub which has all the PCs connected to it. (The Router is my DHCP server) Anyway, my problem is that all the machines will be able to access the network without any problems for a while (anywhere between a few hours to a few days) but then I start getting DNS problems and web access in general begins to break down. Cycling the power on my Router fixes this and all is OK again... until the next time.

I shouldn't have to keep rebooting my router (on average once every two days) should I?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Nope, you sure shouldn't.

My Linksys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL router/switch/firewall hasn't been powered down since about May, 2000. You can even update its firmware without resetting it.

I just set it up as the networks DHCP server, gave MediaOne its MAC address, set all my systems to use a LAN internnet connection and poof! It worked right off the bat.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 27 March 2001).]

Comment

It used to work though - I've had it since around November or so and I had little or no problems until the last couple of months or so....

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

I assume you've configured each of your PCs to address an external DNS server, right? Did you try pinging the DNS server when the failures start? Also try tracert. What exactly are your symptoms ... "DNS server not found"?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I haven't actually tried giving all the PCs the actual DNS server settings... they've just been picking it up from the router. I might give that a go.

I've removed the router and put the CM straight into my PC and all is working lovely at the moment.

The problems I see are that I begin to only be able to go to sites I've been to before, or the IP address... tracerts take forever and often don't ever resolve the name.

I'll try putting in the DNS settings.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

I think you need to look at how you set up your DHCP server rather than setting up DNS in your clients.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
            X