Windows XP Home Ed and Professional??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Home Ed and Professional??

I was just checking out an email that MS sent me about getting a beta verison of Windows XP Professional and I was checking out the web site and was suprised to find that there was two different verisons of XP coming out....Home edition and Professional. Any one have more info what makes them different from each other, besides the home ed problay has a cut down network options like WinME???

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,ATI Radeon AIW,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Home edition is supposed to have less networking support, and won't have true DH support (like win2k), but the DH thing shouldn't matter if you have a Matrox card

Rags

Comment

Isn't the licensing mechanism only in the home edition?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The activation feature is all rumours at the moment, it'll likely change by the time we reach gold status.

Home Edition will basically be WinMe but on the NT kernel. Pro will be Win2k with...er...some extras Also, note that only Pro or above will allow SMP (dual processors).

P.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Pace,

Activation is very much NOT a rumor, it has been in since build 2446. That's almost a month.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Any clues as to the price difference between the "pro" version and the "home" version? If it was affordable I'd rather just get the pro one and skip the "Gates Mafia" copy protection.

Comment

i don't know about everyone else, but i plan on buying XP Pro, but then seeking out a crack for the WPA. i know that there will have to be some sort of "all in wonder key" that will fully activate the product.

i have always purchased microsoft products, and the other software that i use, XP pro and officeXP pro will be no different, but i don't agree with the WPA schema.

cc

Comment

Certainly tinkerers like us need a way round this protection system
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Gurm:
                  Pace,

Activation is very much NOT a rumor, it has been in since build 2446. That's almost a month.

- Gurm
                  </font>
                  Yes, but we can still only guess as to what versions will contain it when it RTMs.
                  Meet Jasmine.

Comment

xp home will not only not have dh, it will also be lacking multi cpu support. there will also be some other features lacking, i got no clue what they are at the moment though.
                    im definitley going with prof (if i upgrade to xp that is, dont wanna register )

Comment

Rumor has it that the prices for Home and Personal will correspond with current prices for ME/Win2k:

ME Retail Full/XP Home: $180
                      Win2k Pro/XP Pro: $330

Comment

Topha: I believe I already mentioned the multi CPU aspect

Anyway, here's a rough rundown of what's likely to differ between the personal/home edition, and the professional edition:

SMP: Pro will offer 1-2 CPU support, just like Win2k, and HE will offer single processor only. Additionally, Pro may also offer 64bit support for Itanium etc, which is highly unlikely to feature in HE.

Networking: Active Directory, Intellimirror and Remote Desktop will be kept for the Pro edition.

Security: Win2k's security set will be improved for XP, and the Pro version will additionally have the new C2 security features.

DOS: Both versions will have the OS emulation mode for Win95.

Also, .NET is not likely to feature too heavily in XP, as it's going to debut mainly in Blackcomb (after XP).

P.
                        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Pace:
                          Topha: I believe I already mentioned the multi CPU aspect

P.
                          </font>
                          Oi gewalt

Comment

Have you all seen this:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/preview/order.asp

?

------------------
                            Cheers,
                            Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Saw it yesterday morning
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X