Memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory question

Hi, I want to buy another 128 memory stick but all the retailers here seem to be stuck on PQI (never even heard of them till now). Already tryed 3 sticks but none of them will boot at 133 although they are sold as PC133.
    Just found a shop that has some CAS2 Crucial but it's PC100. Will it handle 138 in CAS3 or at least 133 CAS3 ?

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 09 March 2001).]

You can buy directly from Crucial.com and they give you free 2 day delivery and you can pick Ram tailored to your motherboard. You can get 256mb pc133 Cas2 Ram for $94.49 and 128 of the same stock for $54.89. This is quality stuff and it should overclock well (and you can bring it down to Cas3 to get even higher)
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Sadly I can only buy local so I have to find one here.

Comment

From what I've heard Cas3 pc133 Ram is often just Cas2 Pc100 Ram renamed and Crucial is good stuff. Might be worth a try. Would you be able to return it if it doesn't work?

[This message has been edited by dparadis (edited 09 March 2001).]
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Not sure, I'll ask them tomorrow. They had PC133 but it sold out and they don't know when and if they would get anymore.

I looked at some memory overclocking reviews on the net, most of them give it 133 in CAS3, none above.
          As you said it might be worth a shot.

Comment

Admiral, just make sure it's real Crucial (will have label as such)... some generic brands use defective and or low grade micron mem mounted on crap sticks and sell it as the same.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It has the two stickers on it.
              To be safe I'll check on the chips.

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 09 March 2001).]

Comment

The Crucial stuff is great. I'm running my new 256mb stick of PC133 CAS2 at 150 with CAS2 settings. Running Prime95 to check stabilty but so far so good.
                Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

I had some of that memory Greebe is referring to. I mixed it with a stick of Crucial and bad things happened.

That memory utility, ctspd, showed it had Checksum or EEprom errors, whatever that means.

Neat little utility, available here http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml#c'tSPD
                  Though the page is in German, the default language of the utility is english.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 10 March 2001).]
                  MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

I'll yet another vote of confidence for the Crucial stuff. Until 3 weeks ago I had 2 128MB sticks of Generic PC133 crap stuff. I couldn't overclock in the slightest or even run at CAS 2. I bought 2 sticks of the 256MB PC133 CAS2 stuff from crucial and am now running at an FSB of 115 with the mem at FSB+33 (148MHz for the mathematically challenged ) and still at CAS 2. Haven't had a crash yet.

Crucial rocks! There are some components that you can skimp on when building a computer. Memory is NOT one of them!

My .02$
                    Ian
                    Primary System:
                    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                    Seccondary System:
                    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                    Tertiary system
                    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

I have to go along with Rick, that Crucial stuff is really great. ctSPD (great tool btw.) says that everything is fine with my EPROM. For testing purposes I had the RAM running at 133 MHz @ CAS 2. No problems so far and stability is excellent.

MK

------------------
                      Celeron II 860 MHz + Golden Orb
                      256 MB PC133 Crucial (2-2-2)
                      G400 16MB @ PD 5.52 + TGL
                      20 GB IBM on HPT U-ATA100 RAID
                      Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                      <font size="1">
                      Celeron II 700 @ 1,1 GHz
                      ASUS CUSL2-C, Bios 1009 final
                      Alpha 6035MFC, 60 -> 80mm adapter
                      2 x 80mm Papst Cooler 19/12dB
                      256 MB PC133 Crucial 7E (CAS2)
                      Maxtor Diamond MAX VL40
                      ATI Radeon 8500 64MB @ Catalyst 3.0
                      Hauppauge WinTV TV-Card
                      Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400
                      Plustek Optic Pro U12B
                      HP Deskjet 959C
                      Plantronics LS1 Headset
                      all on W2k Professional SP2
                      </font>

Comment

Ended up buying an 128 CAS2 PC133 stick made by Simple, Simple Technology. Anyone heard of them ?

It can boot up to 155 CAS3, although it locks as soon as I enter Windows. Might be that I don't have enough cooling on the CPU, or the ram won't handle it.
                        I'm having a little problem when I put my two sticks together. I have to put the new stick on the second slot and the old one on the first, otherwise it would lock in Quake 3 and 3Dmark 2001. I'm testing them further, hope they'll like eachother I'm at 138 with them.

Edit:

Found Simple's site:

Simple Technology

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 27 March 2001).]

Comment

We used to have the same problem over here in Finland! Nowadays however there is no problem in finding PC133 memory mostly Spectec(works at 145MHz CAS3) or Hyundai! However if a customer asks me for PC133 CAS2 I still have no other option but to offer them VCM memory (Kingston or Apacer)!

------------------
                          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                          X