Win 2000 Desktop Takes Forever To Appear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2000 Desktop Takes Forever To Appear

Well, maybe not forever but takes about 1 minute for the desktop and icons to show up after the taskbar shows up. It did this after I installed SP 1 and logitech mouse drivers, but after I did a defrag it appeared right away.

Been loading software like Adobe Photoshop, Adaptec Direct CD, EZ CD Creator and now it's back to taking a minute to appear. Tried a defrag and no help. I did have the Paradise background right after SP1 which requires the active desktop, but switched back to no background, same delay.

I edited the Run registry to remove the Adaptec software from startup, and still get the delay. The only thing that I can't get rid of is the Adobe gamma loader. The only place that appears is the Startup folder, and if I remove it just reappears after a reboot. The Adobe gamma loader does not show up in the run registry.

CPU usage is around 2-3% and memory usage is about 64,000 after the taskbar appears, waiting for the desktop to show up.

------------------
    ABIT KT7A, RAID 0 * 900MHz Athlon T'bird, 133/33 @ 7.5 for 1000 * 256MB Crucial 7E PC/133 RAM * Two 30GB IBM 75GXP's * The Rest
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

You have a SBLive!?

Rags

Comment

Why, yes I do. Still running with the default Win2000 drivers....no Audio HQ or any of that stuff.
      Matrox P
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Disable devldr32.exe and see if that allows the desktop to appear faster, if so, there is a way to make it start as a service to allow the boot to speed up.

Rags

Comment

D'OH!

I just re-read your post, and I should have said: Hit ctrl-shift-esc and see if that executable is running, if it is then you need to have it load differently when booting.

Rags

Comment

Nothing close to devldr32.exe at all, Rags until I [just] installed the latest SB Live drivers without the Audio HQ and stuff..

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 26 March 2001).]
            Matrox P
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Well it appears I missed unchecking the active desktop. Now when it reboots, the desktop icons show up right away but the taskbar has a short delay before it appears.

Suppose I could always leave it on....
              Matrox P
              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
              X