Questions about TFT displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about TFT displays

Well, response time usually refers to the rate at which the pixels can switch from full ON to OFF. The lower the response time, the better, as it will reduce 'ghosting' artifacts, where a fast moving image would have a ghost trail of afterimages behind it.

As for the refresh rate.. most LCDs are 60-85Hz.. however, you have to remember than unlike a conventional CRT that has to scan the electron beam across the whole tube to keep the phosphor glowing, LCD transistors are on or off (or in some intermediate state to provide contrast and differant colors). The refresh rate for an LCD is the rate at which the framebuffer updates the transistor status. So for static images like a windows desktop, it could be refreshing at 10Hz and you wouldn't know it (until you move the mouse).

For games however, LCDs still aren't quite up to CRT standards due to the ghosting issues.. the liquid crystals and traisistors can't keep up with extremely high speed motion all that well, so some motion blur will occur. Its a lot better than it used to be however. I only find it to be noticable with less expensive LCDs (especially laptops).

of course, you'll be limited to 60 fps... that will severely cripple the frame rates of your g450, won't it?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Questions about TFT displays

I was just looking at a data sheet for a TFT display (a Samsung 570s). It stated a 50 ms responce time.
      Does this mean that the screen is only capable of displaying 20 frames per second (1000/50) ?
      And how does this fit in with a 60 Hz refresh rate ??
      "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Working...
      X