How far will my 800E go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far will my 800E go?

I've got P3-800E on an Abit SA6R (after muchos problemos ) and it says SL4MA on it - would I be 100% wrong in thinking that I've got a cC0 stepping?

Would I also be wrong in thinking I can get near 850MHz without glitches on stock cooling?

Paul.

------------------
    The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
    PaceCentral | Seti
    Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
    Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

I would think you should be able to better than 850 with stock cooling unless you have a bum chip.

Rags

Comment

S-spec SL4MA = cC0 stepping, so you would be 100% correct.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Woohoo

So, I'm running at about 848 I think (though 3DMark2000 tells me quite a bit over that ~870 I think). I'll get WCPUID and check that.

When using ATi DVD player I get lots of glitches in playback - like I see frame 1 between frames 2 and 3 - if that makes sense.

I'll try PowerDVD and let you's know how I get on.

Paul.
        Meet Jasmine.

Comment

WCPUID: 8 * 107.53 = 860.20MHz - yet gives flickering in DVD playback.

Edit: I went back to 100, then up to 106 again which fixed it - that's just one part though

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 31 December 2000).]
          Meet Jasmine.

Comment

Right...er, hmm...

I'm at 108 FSB in the BIOS, which WCPUID says is 109.02 (giving 872MHz).

At 110 I get an error from my SBLive (BSOD re: emu10k.blah) so is this the PCI spec causing problems?

The system is as above, plus:

Sparkle TNT2 32Mb (only running at 2x)
            SBLive!
            3C905B-TX
            IBM 30GB 75GXP
            Pioneer 10x DVD

Thanks,

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I recently installed a p3 800 in my brothers system(cco stepping)and i was quite pleasantly surprised when i was able to overclock it to 960mhz(120 fsb)using nothing but the stock heatsink/fan that comes with it and also using stock voltage.

Not bad at all,considering his board is an old asus p2b-f and it's still using generic pc/100 sdram.

I can only imagine how high i could get it with better memory(pc/133)and bigger heatsink/fan for the cpu... .
              note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
              P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

"How far will my P800 go?"

Very far if you throw it off of The World Trade Center

('scuse me...)
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

I found the output of stupid ATI DVD player to be a bit choppy as well and had much better luck with the Radeon and Power DVD. I often have problems getting ATI products to work with other ATI products. I'm sure "ATI's engineers are looking into the matter."

By the way, at 800 MHz, the DVD output on my G400 Max is quite spectacular. I know the board was taken to task quite a bit for not supporting this feature or that. And it doesn't score well on Mad Onion's benchmark (because it doesn't have this feature or that). But at 800 MHz and with Power DVD, it didn't seem to need any of the missing features. Output seems to be as good as my Radeon at 733 MHz and every conceivable feature.

So there.

Paul
                  paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Paul: I'm using a TNT2 - and if only I had enough money left over for a G450!

That's what's due for an upgrade next anyway, maybe March would be a good time

So, do you's think it's my other components which don't like the non standard PCI/AGP speeds? Should I get a PEP66 or something, and go for a 133 FSB (1.066GHz)?

Paul.

Paul.
                    Meet Jasmine.

Comment

I think a small increase in voltage would be in order. Overclocking issues are hard to predict, but I've never seen a Soundblaster Live that couldn't handle a 36 MHz PCI bus. Usually, it's SCSI cards and hard drives (very serious!!) that fail, and they tend to hold up pretty well these days. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened. I just haven't seen it. Generally, however, it's your CPU or RAM that's causing the problem.

I'd up the voltage on the CPU from 1.70 to 1.75 and see it that stabilizes things. Above that and you should start thinking about cooling issues and nice heatsinks. With some motherboards, it is possible to further tweak the I/O voltage as well.

I just would never recommend anyone try for a 133 MHz with a PIII 800 MHz. The mulitplier is very high. This is one of those personal decisions. The PIII was not designed for these speeds (AMD changed that), and it becomes all about voltage, cooling, and luck. Unfortunately, you'll have to spend more money to find out.

Personally, I don't think having problems at 110 MHz is a good sign. However, we're in ALBPM, Greebe, Kruzin, and Maggi territory now. I'd wait for the Beta Boys to chime in.

Happy New Year Paul!

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

yes, 8x124fsb should be possible(cBO chip) so I expect cCO chip should do so as well. if memory serves me correctly, one murcer claims in his specs to have gotten 8x133fsb with his abit bx133 board!

Comment

tweak the voltage and go straight for 133, get some arctic silver compound if you can
                          jim

------------------
                          P3-700e with an MC-1000 @ agiga! Check it here!
                          Abit BE6-2
                          TwinMos 256mb pc-133
                          G400 32mb DH
                          Maxtor 40gb 7,200 ATA100
                          SB Live!
                          Toshiba 12x DVD
                          Iomega 650cd burner
                          Winblows 98se & DX8
                          and 384k DSL!
                          and a 19" monitor
                          System 1:
                          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                          Epox 8K7A
                          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                          SBLIVE 5.1
                          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                          3Com Hardware Modem
                          Teac 20/10/40 burner
                          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

How much memory and what type do you have in your system??
                            If you're using more than one 128MB DIMM put them in slots 1 and 3. This is one of those odd things with some ABIT mobos.

Can you adjust the I/O voltage with with the 815E based mobos??
                            I heard you loose that ability and it would be better to have this up to 3.5 or 3.6 volts for overclocking.

Can you set the AGP Clock Divider to 2/3??

Also disable Spread Spectrum Modulated.

As far as heatsinks go you will only get the PEP66 to fit with modifying the fan shroud.
                            http://www.2cooltek.com/kt7.html

So, you may want to consider the PAL35t or a Hedgehog with a copper shim instead.

Paul

------------------
                            P3-800 @ 1064MHz (133 x 8), ABIT BX133, 256MB PC150 HSDRAM,
                            G450-32MB DDR on BNC,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,
                            21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro,
                            Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case
                            and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P
                            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Also disable Spread Spectrum Modulated
                              I find that this sometimes prevents reaching the highest stable OC possible. Try it one way, then the other as it doesn't seems to follow any specific chipset/MB type or brand.

In theory, this should improve OC ability and mine is set to ON, tho this is an Athlon (6167) 750 chipset MB.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X