WinXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP

The pic of my desktop got the curiousity of a few ppl going...

Here are a few good, quick read articles that sum up WinXP quite well:

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stor...697516,00.html

(The other articles are in the sidebar)

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 19 March 2001).]

Hmm, no mention of the product activation feature. It figures they are going to hide one of their most annoying features. I wouldn't want to have to call them up each time I change hardware and reinstall windows.

Comment

Sorry man!
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Forget it cking4, it won't be your workstation any more. M$FT will decide what you can run on "your" XP box. Prepare for the HailStorm!
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Then we can add in their .net initiative which involves applications running off their servers. What happens when the connection or server goes down. We have already seen attacks on Microsoft servers completely decimate their DNS servers. OOps no one can use MS Office.net 3.5. We've been hacked. Updating an APP through the web and the option to subscribe instead of buying is enticing in some ways, but I don't want to have to depend on outside hardware for my word processor to work.

(Some time in the future.)
          Oops, we're upgrading our server to Office.net 56.3. We're sorry that it cannot run on your hardware even though word processors can run on 20 year old hardware. You're **insert explitive here**.

Linux and Amiga DE yo!

P.S. Thanks for the Link Xortam. I forgot to click on it before I started this reply.

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 21 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 21 March 2001).]

Comment

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/windowsxp_beta2.asp

"Folks, this is the real thing: Windows XP is the version of Windows we've all been waiting for."

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 22 March 2001).]

Comment

What it will deliver, in simple terms, is the ability to no longer have to choose Win2k or Win98.

Compatibility mode is a wonderful thing.

- Gurm
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

While we're on the topic of privacy, check this out:
                http://www.lavasoft.de/aaw/index.html

Comment

All Jammrock hast to say is...

It will be a cold, cold day in hell before M$ forces Jammrock to register his software online! And why may you ask? What benefits do I get from registering? NOTHING! NOT A DAMN THING!!!

But what about tech support you ask? I'm a computer tech, I answer! I have Tech Net, I have every single resource the M$ helpless desk has to troubleshoot OS and Office apps. So no benefits there. And what do I haft to give M$ to register my software?

EVERYTHING! Name, rank, serial number, computer config, rights to my first born male child...who the hell knows. It's a crock of crap is what it is.

I'll switch to Linux or Mac before I'll force myself to use M$'s online registration.

Jammrock

------------------
                  Athlon 650
                  256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                  87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                  Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                  SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                  Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                  Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Jammrock:
                    All Jammrock hast to say is...
                    But what about tech support you ask? I'm a computer tech, I answer! I have Tech Net, I have every single resource the M$ helpless desk has to troubleshoot OS and Office apps. So no benefits there.
                    </font>
                    Same here. I go to www.slota.com, here, and formerly www.msn.co.uk/theborgcollective and have gotten more information from them than any formal tech support. I have and probably will be doing tech support again where I work now. It is not a pleasant experience from either end. People buying a 5 year old game and expect it to work on their brand new machine or getting told to tell a customer that we cannot support them because the product is all the sudden not being supported, products we refer to as machine slayers although I have not seen any of those in over two years. But, I digress.

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 22 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 23 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by High_Jumbllama (edited 23 March 2001).]

Comment

If product activation proves successful, Microsoft would be able to lower the price of Windows by 33% due to the increased revenue from preventing pirated software.

But, it's quite clear that it won't... this time around.

Comment

Microsoft will lose money no matter what, as many people consider it not worth the money to pay for it and will break it anyway. If they do succeed in preventing piracy, they will not decrease their profit margin. If they know they can get people to buy their software at a certain price, then they will not lower it except possibly briefly to look better in the public's eye. (98 to ME upgrade) That is one facet of how any business works MS or otherwise.

Comment

Ooh, look at those run ons.

Comment

Product activation doesn't prevent "piracy".

It prevents casual copying.

That's it.

That's all anyone wants to prevent. There will always be cracks and workarounds for the determined. All software companies want to prevent is Joe Smiley giving a copy to his friends Steve and Jim.

- Gurm

------------------
                            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

True, true.

I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...
                              X