No announcement yet.

fdisk update for hdd greater than 64Gb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fdisk update for hdd greater than 64Gb!

thought that this info & link would be useful to a few members with huge ones!
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/0/44.ASP

A WinME boot disk works too...seems to run a little faster than a Win98 boot disk also.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 19 March 2001).]
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

IMNSHO (That's "in my NOT so humble opinion"), you shouldn't be using a hard drive that big with a retrograde OS like Win9x anyway.

- Gurm

------------------
      Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I've recently done several clean installs on my gaming machine...

It seems that NTFS can format a blank drive SOOO much faster than formatting it with FAT32. (My 40gig is formatting with FAT32 right now, 55% done )

However, Win9x/ME still is the way to go for gaming. (Even with nvidia's excellent Win2k drivers)

Comment

Win2000 is on my 90GB RAID 0 and Win98SE is on a 30GB partition of a 60GB RAID 0.
          Matrox P
          LianLiPC70

Comment

I have yet to find a game that runs better on Win9x.

I'll take the added stability of knowing that a game can't hose my system in trade for a couple fps any day.

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I'm with Gurm on this one.
              I'm yet to find a game that made me wish I'd kept Win9x on my system for gaming.
              So, I don't reach 100fps on every single game I play, but I'm yet to find a game unplayable.
              Stability over 10% fps gain wins my vote every time.
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

pr0n hehe.
                Some games like Fifa2000 do NOT run on win2k period.
                Luckily Fifa2001 is out, is better than Fifa2000 and runs great on win2k.
                I can't imagine running win9xpos on such a large HD
                If you intend to run win2k and games why get a Radeon?
                Partition magic is good, but you always have fdisk. BeOS is the best HD utility to have around. I have saved quite a few "dead" disks with it.
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I agree with you but if you have a radeon thats not the case. And fdisk sucks, i use Partitionmagic. Much better.

[This message has been edited by Novdid (edited 20 March 2001).]

Comment

Some people just download too many MP3s and err umm other stuff.

Comment

Don't assume too much here, I don't have scanner or digital camera support in Win2000 yet.

And I don't do MP3's or other stuff either.

Matrox P
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

We was just funnin' wit ya
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

That's pretty sad... a good handful of companies haven't released good drivers for Win2k and it's already been out for a year.

Comment

No big deal, DentyCracker. I just happened to buy drives when the bigger ones weren't that much more.

I can extract images from the digital in Win2000 without the Kodak software, so maybe it's just new scanner time and dump Win98 for good.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 21 March 2001).]
                            Matrox P
                            LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                            X